Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Moebius experiment

Have you ever seen or made a moebius strip? You know.. you take a strip of paper, twist one side and tape it to the other end? Then, when you draw a line on it, there's only one side to it? If you've never done that, try it! Now, think of a scarf like that, no right side, no wrong side. Well, that's what this is:



I have Cat Bordhi's book, "A Treasury of Magical Knitting", and decided to sit down with it yesterday and experiment. I found some yarn in my stash that I've never done anything with and thought it might be a nice yarn to "play" with. After about 5 hours of knitting, this is what came off of the needle. It's definitely got potential. I'm not the happiest with this attempt, but it is, after all, an experiment. For one thing, I should have used a larger needle for the cast off, as it's a little snug; and I'm not really happy with the way I blocked it (too hastily). Oh well, as stated, it's an experiment, just to see how a Moebius scarf really knits up. I have my eye on one of the patterns in the book, one that calls for a lovely yarn that's available at the store I work in, a combination of cotton, linen and rayon.

In addition to knitting up the moebius, I did type out the pattern for the entrelac scarf. It's available in the sidebar under the Patterns section. I've included both a .pdf file and a Word file. Please let me know if there are any errors or omissions that I should be aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment