Wednesday, May 25, 2005

SSS?

For those out there who aren't sock knitters, you may not know what that acronym stands for. Those of us who do knit socks are intimately familiar with Second Sock Syndrome. That's where you knit the first sock of the pair, but the second one gets stuck somewhere in the ether. Ok, I suffer from it. I didn't think I did.

Last night, I finished the first of Fibretrends "Peak Experience" socks, the Angel's Rest version. I like it, and I have the second sock on the needles, so I will finish it. If I were to do this pattern again, I would use a larger needle on the leg and switch to smaller ones for the foot. It's a little snug getting it on my foot. I must qualify, though, that it would depend on what happens to this yarn after washing. The last socks I made using this yarn did not spring back at all after washing and drying.

Here's a pic of the sock and a close-up of the pattern stitch. It's a very easy one to learn and if you do forget a yarn over, it's easy enough to pick up on the following round.




And for Marguerite, here's a picture of the one finished Old Shale sock. I did cast on and finish the old shale cuff for the second one, then realized that I'd done it on the wrong needles. Can we say ribbit? The yarn hasn't found it's way back to the needles yet, but it will. I shall prevail!


(Incidentally, the pattern for Marguerite's Old Shale socks can be found in my sidebar. She wrote it for 2 circs, but it's a great pattern anyway.)
;)

The Ljod top from Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Collection is coming along nicely. The chart for the cabled diamond looks like it could be a fairly complicated, keep-track-of-every-row kind of chart, but it really isn't. It's quite easy to see where you are in the pattern, so it's knitting up fairly quickly. Of course, these days around here, nothing gets knit up fairly quickly.

After dinner last night, the four of us decided to go for a short boat ride. The lake was calm, the skies were fairly clear, Jeopardy was over, House wasn't on for another hour, so away we went. (And there went an hour of knitting time.) It was great! I do love the feel of the wind on my face and the water spraying out from behind the boat. Honestly, I never really thought I'd be much of a boater, being a prairie-born girl and all, but I'm really enjoying being out on the lake and living on the water.

2 comments:

  1. Love your latest socks, must check out that pattern.
    I have a rather personal question and you can tell me to jump in the proverbial lake if you wish but am interested to know what living with another couple is like at this stage of your married life. I take it you are sharing this beautiful home with its lovely views?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always knit two socks at the same time - but not on the same needles - to avoid that dreaded SSS. There's nothing more tedious than knitting a second sock when fighting SSS.

    Right now I'm working on a sweater and have SSS - Second Sleeve Syndrome. It seems like the second sleeve is taking forever and ever.

    ReplyDelete