Saturday, May 07, 2005

Saturday morning ramblings

It's a beautiful, sunny morning in the beautiful Okanagan. I woke up to the sound of pheasants and quail in the woods across the drive but now, I'm being serenaded by a backhoe. The neighbour is working on his septic field, which is just outside our bedroom window... which is where my computer happens to be. Oh well, a few moments with you and then I'm headed outdoors. Today might be a good day to do some exploring in the neighbourhood.

If any of you read the Art of Yarn blog (where I work/play), you'll see by today's post that we're putting together some kits for the store. Sally's put together a really cute lacy poncho and I'm working on a smaller version of the entrelac scarf. Hey, I'll take any excuse to start a new project! There's something exciting about starting a project, don't you think?

Well, here's the progress so far:



As with the original entrelac scarf I did, I'm really enjoying the technique. It is, essentially, plain stocking stitch, but because you're only working on 6 stitches at a time, it's interesting. Unfortunately, all other projects have been put on hold, but only because three of them are at the store. I left them there for the duration of the move and forgot to take them home with me on Thursday evening. Oh well. The people in this house tend to view knitting as a diversion and feel I should be doing something "productive", rather than sitting around with sticks and string. (What do they know??)

Living on the lake, I'm expecting life and nature to be fascinating. Thus far, I haven't been disappointed. Now, for those of you who think we live way out in the boonies somewhere, the city of Kelowna is a mere five minutes away. We have only to cross the bridge to get to town. That does keep some wildlife away, I'm sure. We have a fair number of ducks, geese, swallows and quail to watch at the moment and we hear the pheasant every day. We think it's one, could be more.

We've been noticing this little guy hanging around lately.





It's a coot. There used to be a lot of them on the lake, but from what John tells me, when the upper lakes open up, the coots head there. It seems this one got left behind. He's been hanging around the waterfront for the last week or so now. We'll keep watching.

Ah, the backhoe's quiet.

1 comment:

  1. The pictures are beautiful! I bet you will really enjoy living by the lake. I love the scarf too.

    ReplyDelete