Saturday, May 21, 2005

Saturday - it's sunny and I have to work

Not that work is such a hardship; it isn't at all. It seems that knitters are taking a break from their knitting right now and the store's been slow. That means I get a lot of knitting done, but when it's a beautiful, sunny day the last thing I really want to be doing is sitting at the store knitting. Ya know?

I have made great progress on Ljod. The back is finished and I've got about 5 inches of the front done. I'm into the diamond knot and, though the chart looks confusing, I'm finding that it's really not that big a deal. I must remember, though, to take my "tool kit" with me to the store today. I'm going to need my cable needle soon. (I left it at home yesterday...good thing I didn't need it.)

Yesterday, we saw something that we hadn't seen in the whole two years we've lived here. From what we've heard from friends, some have lived in this city most of their lives and haven't seen what we saw yesterday.



If you look at the picture carefully, you'll see that the center blue section is raised. That's the nav gate on the Lake Okanagan Floating Bridge. None of us here have ever seen the bridge go up to let boats go from one side to the other. This time, there was a handful of sailboats and a large house boat that went across. From here on in, I'm sure it will be nothing more than a curiousity, but the first time is always special!

Incidentally, it's not that boats can't get under the bridge. There are two raised sections of the bridge that smaller boats and houseboats can navigate; the nav bridge is only for the larger boats. From what we understand, that section doesn't get raised very much, so I'm assuming that the larger boats generally stay in their own area of the lake (an assumption on my part).

Now, it's time for my shower. Enjoy your Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ev,
    It must be nice to live so close to water. We close on the house on the 31st. My boyfriend will be moving in then and painting since he already works in the area. The dog, our stuff, and I are moving in on the 9th -- just in time for me to start my new job the next week!
    The weather is beautiful here as well-- does make it difficult to stay inside and knit!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ev,
    just want to say that it is still better to sit in a store knitting than in an office typing... Sunny day or not! but I myself are thinking about changing things in my life so that part of my work might get more related to my hobbies. (wich is the reason for my blog being so abandoned...)
    Great work you are doing!
    Tina from Germany

    ReplyDelete