Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Memorial weekend musings



It's been a busy weekend. For most, it was a three day weekend, but seeing as I worked Saturday, it was a standard two day weekend for me. I'm not complaining. The past two days have been busy. I had time to knit. I'll post a pic of what I spent the weekend working on later. Suffice it to say, I started yet another project. No, I'm NOT going to count how many projects I actually have on the go! Don't ask!

Then, on Sunday evening, friends brought their boat over. Since they live nowhere near the water, they'll be leaving the boat here. They can come and go as they please and have given us permission to use the boat whenever we want. They're good people and good friends. Of course, when dropping off a boat, one has to have a party, right? We ended up having an impromptu "appy night" with four couples and two pre-teens. One of the pre-teens is the daughter of the boat owners and I had the chance to give her the original "Lacy Rose Poncho", done in pale blue, not pink, so I suppose it should be called the Lacy Blue Poncho. (pattern for said poncho is in my sidebar) I told her she could fight over it with her sister, if push came to shove. I didn't tell Kelsey, but if her sister really wants one, I'd be amenable to making her one. I have more of the cotton I used for hers, so it wouldn't cost me anything extra. A couple hours of crochet is no big deal.

Yesterday, the pre-teens pestered Gord so long that he drove them over and took them for a boat ride. I went along. The weather wasn't the greatest for boating, but when you have access to a new toy, you MUST take advantage of it, right? The girls wanted to go under the bridge, but the water was quite choppy on the other side, so it was a quick turnaround and back out to "our" side of the lake. After some minor repairs (a leaky plug?) and a discovery (water streaming into the boat from somewhere near the throttle...no, nothing too serious), we shut her down, enjoyed a couple snacks and played with the depth finder. An hour or so later, we headed back to the house.

I didn't realize until later that I'd gotten a bit of sun and wind burn on my face. That evening, my face was soooooo warm that Carol thought I was having a hot flash. Not that that's an impossibility, but the heat was only in my face and didn't go away. Nope, not a hot flash.

Finally, last night, before heading upstairs to bed, I went down to the dock. Just me. The sky was amazing. White, fluffy clouds to my left; dark, stormy clouds to my right; directly above me, clear sky. The water was almost glassy calm. I could see a loon and a grebe out on the water. Fish were jumping. It was so peaceful. John was still up when I went back up to the house and the first thing he asked me was "So, are you happy in your new home?" How could I not be?

Does it get any better than this?

1 comment:

  1. Howdy another boater!
    What a beautiful picture! HAve a great Memorial weekend! Hope the boats is repaired!

    ReplyDelete