Sunday, May 22, 2005

Final reminder

Since there are only nine days left in this month, if you intend to get in on the "must have" draw, you'd better do so soon. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, I want to know which book (or books) you simply must have in your knitting library. Once the end of the month rolls around, I'll get John to choose one and that person will receive a gift from me. I haven't announced the gift yet; it's meant to be a surprise, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you still want in, make sure you send me your choice(s). I'll also make up a list of the books so you can see what others consider their best resources.

I did promise that nearer the end of the month, I would post my "must haves". I was going to post a picture of my choices, but I've lent one of them to a customer so there goes that idea. Oh well.

If you've never seen Ann Budd's books "The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns" and "The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns", do. I find them indispensable, especially if you want to do any kind of customized knitting. The format of the books is a table format, with gauge (3 st/inch to 8 st/inch) down the left hand side and size (age 2 or so to men's xl) along the top. You find the gauge you want, in the size you want and then follow the pattern all the way down. Because they're basic patterns, you can customize in whatever manner you want. The "Handy Book of Patterns" contains basic patterns for mittens, gloves, hats (what we in Canada call toques), tams, scarves, socks, vests and a sweater. The sweater book has patterns for the different sleeve styles and suggests ways of customizing your garment. The binding of the book is a spiral binding so the book lies flat when in use (love that!) and there's a pocket inside the back cover for those slips of paper with information that we all gather (don't tell me I'm the only one, ok??).

I've knitted Ann Budd's "Grand Plan Sweater", which is the sweater pattern in the book of patterns and I've never had a sweater go together so beautifully. I CAN show you a picture of that one. I knitted it out of Paton's Canadiana Tweeds (yes, I know.. it's acrylic, but I got it for a really good price, it's eminently washable, wears like iron and is holding up quite nicely). I made this one about three years ago now, and would make another one tomorrow if I needed another sweater.



So... if you haven't already entered your choice, do! Keep in mind, you do have to provide me with a way of contacting you. If you have a blog, I'll have a link to it, but if you post with no way of me replying to you, it will be difficult for me to let you know you've won. Hmmm... I guess you'll just have to keep coming back, won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment