Thursday, April 21, 2005

One down, two more on the needles

Ok, call me addicted. I'm supposed to be packing for the big move next week, not casting on new projects! I have other projects to finish; the last thing I should be doing is starting new ones. But I did.

One project will be a very quick one to complete. Interweave Knits came out with their web patterns and one of them is a variety of baby socks. I've already got one sock knitted up. As I said, they knit up quickly. That said, I also tend to change sock patterns around to suit my preferences. For instance, I don't use 2 mm dpns; I use 2.25 mm. That makes the socks slightly larger already. I don't like doing short-row heels and toes, so I've substituted the standard heel and toe shaping. Ann Budd used some very nice, soft colours of yarn for her socks. Me? Well....



Then there's the shawl I started. I've decided that the Country Silk (the one that didn't want to be a Kiri) wants to be a Flower Basket shawl. It's in the Summer 2004 Interweave Knits. I'm already up to the 6th set of the 10 row pattern and no mistakes. I'm taking the precaution of putting in a lifeline every 30 or so rows, so that the yarn can't talk back tooooooo loudly! It's looking pretty good, if I do say so myself. For the time being, I'm limiting my knitting time to ten rows on the shawl per day; I'm three days ahead of myself.




(close up of the stitches; the photo is pretty close in colour to the actual yarn)

Today, though, just isn't a knitting day. It's about 24C (or 74F for you Americans) and sunny and I'm not used to the change in the temperature yet. My hands are simply too hot to hold yarn. When it's this rapid a temperature change, I limit my knitting to the mornings and evenings.

I think it's time to see how many of last year's summer clothes actually still fit me. Scary!!

1 comment:

  1. You're right, we do think alike! Except, I find the charts easier than the written instructions. Love your kiri and I think your FB is going to be just as beautiful. And we are both addicted to knitting socks! I've just helped my mom with her first pair.

    ReplyDelete