Saturday, April 09, 2005

Has This Ever Happened to You?

For those of you who knit, have you ever bought a yarn with a specific project in mind? Have you started that project only to have the yarn tell you in no uncertain terms that it doesn't want to be that specific thing? Well, that's what happened to me.


The Country Silk made it very clear that it did NOT want to be the Kiri Shawl. Yes, that was the mystery project. I wanted to spring a completed Kiri on the world, but every step of the way the yarn said NO. I started it five times; I got to a point of having 12 repeats (6 per half of the shawl) and it seemed there was a mistake on every row. And I had that pattern right there beside me all the time! The one I'm doing for the store, out of Sirdar's Country Style DK, on the other hand, has given me no problems at all. It's coming along swimmingly. Well, except for when I tried to use the ball winder on the remainer of the ball... don't ever do that. The yarn gets extremely twisted and the only way to truly remedy that is to cut the yarn. Lesson learned.

I've included the link for the Kiri Shawl pattern in the links section. Reading it through before starting, some of it didn't make sense, but once you sit down with needles and yarn and actually start it, it all comes together quite ingeniously. I'm at a point now where I can almost work without the pattern in front of me at all times. It's fun.


------------------------------------

I AM still working on other things, too... like the Old Shale socks. The first one has the heel turned and I'm working the gusset now. They will be a gorgeous pair of socks! I'll post a picture of the first sock when it's complete.

I was told yesterday that I have to put all my knitting on hold now (except for what I can squeeze in at work) until after we've moved. Yeah, like that's going to happen. No, it wasn't John that told me that although I'm sure he's thought it. To say I'm a knit-a-holic would not be far from the truth. It's hard for me to not be doing something with my hands and as any knitter knows, it's relaxing and therapeutic. Goodness knows, we all need that! So, while my knitting over the next few weeks will be slowing down, it will definitely not be on hold until after the move. So there!

1 comment:

  1. yes sadly somethings need to be taken apart, like that frustrating moebius cat bed i was working on the other day. thanks for your help. my cats love it.

    ReplyDelete