Thursday, November 30, 2006

It's Perfect Knitting Weather

So, I wrote that I'd post a picture of the latest hat creation. Let's just jump right in, shall we? First, the hat on my head, just so you can see how it fits.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There's one thing wrong with this picture; the colour is totally wrong. It should look more like this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The yarn is Paton's Classic Wool. I lost the label, so I can't tell you the colour number, but it's kind of an olivey-appley green. The hat turned out well. I knitted this one from the top down as well. I did mention that I love knitting hats this way, didn't I? And no, it's not the knitter that's upside down, just the knitting!

The only thing I don't like is that you can see the division between the dpns when I purled. That will even out in the wash, I'm sure. Hand wash, as it's 100% wool, not superwash (great for felting). I've been wearing this hat for the last couple of days; it's nice and warm and comes down quite nicely over the ears, except when the collar of my jacket pushes the hat up in the back of my neck. Oh well, it won't be this cold forever.

Then, there's some yarn to show you.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This, along with the other 15 balls of the denimy blue, will become a sweater for John. I'm going to be working it from the top down, a la Barbara Walker, in "Knitting from the Top". Another day, I'll post a picture of the drawing I made to show John what his sweater will look like.

The intention is that there will be a band of fair isle across the chest; that's because I'm not sure I have quite enough of the blue yarn for the entire sweater. Now, all I need is a design for the fair isle band. I'm not to that point yet, so I have some time to find just the right one. I might even copy the pattern from a sweater he already owns (that's almost nothing but threads at this point, but he refuses to get rid of because it's wool and it keeps his shoulders warm).

Now, we need to go and deal with a frozen drain in the kitchen sink. It's well and truly winter here with temperatures going down to -23 C at night. The pipes for the kitchen sink are on an outside wall on the north side of the house. The winds have been coming from the north. You do the math. *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. Nice hat. Not my color, but looks really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking for a hat pattern, since my last hat was claimed by my daughter. I don't like to make the same one twice. This one looks really nice and I'd like to try knitting from the top down. Could you direct me to the pattern , please?

    ReplyDelete