Friday, November 17, 2006

One done, Another on the Needles

Yup, you read that right. One small project done. Of course, I HAD to start another one, right?

Here's the finished project...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

...and a not so close up shot...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the Scarf Around scarf. Lisa was working on one of these at the SnB I went to (haven't been since last year) last week and I fell in love with it. The pattern is intended for the Red Scarf project, written by Maia at Maia Spins. It's a great pattern, a quick knit and you get to cut your knitting! Yes, you cut it! That's really the reason I wanted to knit it; I've never cut my knitting before. It just seems so...... rebellious. The entire scarf is knitted in the round and then cut. The cut edges are unravelled and tied to make the fringe.

The scarf is made with one skein of recycled sari silk yarn from Nepal and 2 balls of Paton's Classic Wool, in black. It turned out fairly long; I estimate it to be close to six feet long. I love it! I have one more skein of the sari silk yarn, so I may just make another one as a Christmas gift for someone. Don't know who yet. Just someone.

And, yes, I started something else. I don't have enough unfinished projects. Ha!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I've started the hat with the earflaps. I've chosen different colours, obviously. The yarn is Paton's Decor, a good basic yarn, eminently washable, a bit of wool content for warmth and memory. I'm changing the pattern somewhat, though. Hey, you can't just follow the pattern as written, you know!

It's almost impossible to see on that picture, but the picture with the pattern shows a pattern on the ear flap that simply doesn't match anything else on the hat. It's a completely different style of pattern and I didn't like it. So... I graphed out the ear flap and designed my own pattern. Well, sort of. All I did, really, was take the diamond pattern from the top of the hat and worked it, along with half of the "X", on either side of it. I like it much better. I'll post pictures when I get the hat done. Once I get past the ear flaps, I think it will be a fairly quick knit. It's been a while since I've done any kind of colourwork, so it's a nice change of pace.

That's it for posting today. Now, I need to install a router so the roomies can have internet, too. And, I need to bring in firewood. It's just that kind of day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I really like that earflap hat! I have started another hat for my town's Holiday Mitten tree. That hat might be fun...is it a pattern that is available either online or in knit stores? I'm going to keep watching for your posts and, if positive, see if I can get the pattern! Can't wait to see your!

    ReplyDelete