Friday, December 01, 2006

Sweaters, Hats and Stuff

I started John's sweater. I got about 3" knitted and realized it was going to be a little too narrow. I'd forgotten to factor in the ease needed for a comfortable sweater. Then, after I'd done the shaping for the second side (working from the shoulders down), I was unhappy with the way the provisional cast on looked after it had been picked up and knit, so I frogged the whole thing and started over using a crochet provisional cast on. It's coming along nicely now, and looking much better. As previously mentioned, I'm working this sweater from the top down (well, from the shoulders down, seamless) as per Barbara Walker's book "Knitting from the Top". The sweater will have set in sleeves (and it's seamless... yes, you read that right), and starts at the back of the neck and shoulders. The sleeves will be picked up and worked from the shoulder down as well, using short rows. I think I like this method. I'll let you know once I get past that point.

Ever since John saw a sweater that I'd finished for a friend (who moved to Australia before I could get it back to her and who I've not heard from since), he's been enamored with shawl collars. His sweater will have a shawl collar. One night this week, every time I woke up, I found myself thinking about the collar and how to do the shaping for it. I think I've figured it out. We'll see if it will actually work.

I think I mentioned that the sweater will also have a band of fair isle across the chest and back, just under the arms. I've been hunting online for an acceptable pattern (one that we both like) and found one at garnstudio.com. I'm not making the entire sweater, just borrowing the fair isle band pattern, altering the colour scheme to my own preferences.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The yarn I'm using is Online Tessa, a worsted weight superwash wool; I wanted real wool (as opposed to something with acrylic) for John as his shoulders have been bothering him lately and the warmth of wool just seems to ease the pain a little more than anything else does. There was one night when the only thing that gave him any comfort at all was my alpaca Clapotis. So, wool it is for my man. I'm using 4.5 mm (US 7) needles and getting 20 stitches and 28 rows to 4" (just like the label says I should). The main colour is a deminy/tweedy blue that has a little bit of purple and tan through it. It's really quite nice. I dislike making a large project like a man's sweater in a completely solid colour. Something tweedy just makes it a little more interesting. As you can see from my last post's pictures, the fair isle band will be done in purple, dark green and tan.

As far as other projects go, right now I'm working on the sweater. Hats have been pushed aside for the time being. I've been wanting to do this sweater for John for a long time now and am finally going to do it. Of course, progress will be monitored and you will be updated as I go along.

Monika asked me about the pattern for the green Classic Wool hat and could I point her in the direction of the pattern. I hate to tell you this, Monika, but the pattern is still in my head. Well, sort of. I have a preliminary version of it on paper, but will have to type it up and proof read it. Contact me via email, ok?

Tomorrow, the plan is that we will be driving down to the coast. Hopefully, the weather will co-operate. I hate taking unnecessary chances when it comes to life and limb. We're going mainly to check on John's Dad, making sure he's being well looked after and that he's generally okay. We will, of course, be checking up on kids and grandkids, too. This will be a fairly short trip; we expect to be back sometime on Wednesday, as I work on Thursday.

Today, I intend to spend plenty of time knitting while we watch the Canadian political system at work (Liberal party leadership convention). That, and football will likely be what's on our televsion screen today. Between the two, I'll be left with plenty of knitting time.

I leave you with a picture I took yesterday, out of our bedroom window. It's a little hard to see, I know, but those spots under the tree are quail. One of them was even jumping up to catch the berries on the stems. They're such interesting birds to watch. When they run, they look like wind up toys.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4 comments:

  1. the untouched snow is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other day there were about 20 or 30 quail running along the shhrubbery beside our clinic building. I get a big kick out of seeing the quailings in the spring running behind their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your trip is going well (safely) and you find John's dad and all the kids/grands healthy and happy.

    I now am going to fix the buttonholes in hub's new sweater - I KNOW I made them the right size for 1" buttons but they're constantly coming undone - just like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ev, check out Susan's entry for today, Tuesday 12/5 for knitting top-down hats: http://ma2ut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete