Saturday, November 11, 2006

Remember

Today is November 11, Remembrance Day in Canada, Veterans' Day in the US. I hope we all take some time today to remember those who have fought to ensure we have our freedom today. As well, I hope we all take some time to remember those who are fighting wars in the world today, whether we agree with our country's involvement in those wars or not. The men and women fighting those wars are doing what their government has ordered them to do and they deserve our thoughts and prayers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm home again today; John's working today, by choice. That means I have time to knit and time to blog. Always a good thing. Even though it's a pattern for sale, I thought I would, at least, show you the Baby Cable wrist warmers completed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In my humble opinion, the look good; they certainly feel good. The 2x2 ribbing pulls in very nicely on the wrists and the back of the hand. And, now that I have the pattern down, they're a pretty quick knit.

Now, I'm working on a pair of fingerless gloves for John. I have one completed and the second one is down to the ribbing on the cuffs.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Details? The pattern is Knitty's Knucks. The yarn is Louet Gems... um.... I forget which gem it is, but it's the light/worsted weight, worked on 3.5 mm (US 4) dpns. It's a tighter knit than it should be. The pattern calls for DK weight yarn, but I chose to work it in a light worsted because John plans on using these at work. After having knit my own set of Knucks, these seem huge to me. They fit him fairly well, though. The only critique he made was that they could have been a little tighter where the hand and wrist meet. Personally, I think the size is just not quite right for his hand, but he's happy with them the way they are and I'm not about to frog anything to make them fit him perfectly. I'll have the second one finished by the time he gets home from work today.

I think I mentioned, did I not, that I'm also working on a couple of scarf patterns? I don't think I'm really designing anything new and exciting, but I know there are people out there always looking for scarf patterns that look good on both sides. These designs qualify. So far, I only have a picture of one of the two scarves (the second one hasn't even been cast on yet, but will be a good match for the Baby Cable wrist warmers). Here's the Brioche Scarf.... well, part of it, anyway.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The brioche stitch is a simple one to work and produces a reversible scarf that's fluffy, warm and cozy. The yarn I'm using is, again, the Luxury Fine Merino Superwash DK. Normally, you'd use a 4.0 mm needle on DK weight yarn, but for scarves, I generally go up a minimum of one size, usually two. In this case, 5.0 mm made a fabric that was just a bit too loose, so I moved down to 4.5 mm. I think it's perfect. The resulting fabric is soft and cushy and will, I'm sure, be nice and warm around the neck. This yarn, incidentally, is very soft against the skin. I think I've said it before, but this is my new favourite yarn for basic knitting.

The pattern for the scarf is a very simple one. I will type it up and put it in the sidebar for the sake of ease (and will include the second scarf pattern on the same sheet), but for now, here's how it's done.

Materials: a nice soft dk weight yarn (yardage yet to be determined), 4.5 mm (US 7)
Using cast on of choice (I really like the crochet cast on for scarves), cast on 30 stitches.

Set up row: *yo, slip 1, k1; repeat from * to end of row
Row 2: *yo, slip 1, k2tog; repeat from * to end of row

Repeat row 2 only until scarf is the length desired. Cast off.

Note: when working yo, bring the yarn forward between the needles as if to purl

And there you have it. The reason I like the crochet cast on for scarves is that it gives you a cast on edge that looks just like the cast off edge. If you look carefully at the picture above, you can see the cast on edge. Looks good, if I say so myself.

What's that? You'd like to know how it's done? Ah, I can do that. The Keyboard Biologist explains it better than I ever could on her blog in this post... (crochet provisional cast on). Instead of using waste yarn, use the yarn you intend to use throughout your project. Cast on one stitch less than the pattern calls for; when you have the stitches required (minus 1), place the loop from the crochet hook on to your needle, giving you the required number of stitches. Doing that locks the cast on; it is no longer a provisional cast on. Continue with your pattern.





1 comment:

  1. thank you so much for your pattern! I have started this scarf about 5 times and this is the first one that is perfect for my yarn and easy to remember. Its great!
    thanks!
    - Lori

    ReplyDelete