Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Bits and Pieces, This and That

I have time to blog today. I've been a little busy the past week. This week, I have some time for me... and knitting.
There's stuff to show you today; where do I start?

Oh, the little things I posted about before... you know, the little hat and booties? They've gone to the cousin of one of the roomies. Stacy gave birth last weekend; she was having a girl. All the ultrasounds said so. HA! She had a boy. She had no "boy clothes". I decided to give her the little hat and booties because they'd be great on a little boy. They were simple to make, so I'll just make another set... to go along with this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And just what might that be? Just the fourth (and final, hopefully) start of a baby sweater. I wanted the sweater to have a garter stitch band. Did you realize just how much bigger garter stitch is than stocking stitch? I started out with 95 stitches on 4.0 mm needles. Two pattern repeats into the sweater, I realized that the garter stitch band was flaring. I took it out, cast on 90 stitches, same needle size, increased 5 stitches on the last row, worked one pattern repeat and..... still flaring. Tried it again with 90 stitches on 3.5 mm needles, increased to 95 stitches on the last row. There was less flare, but there was still flaring. I frogged again, cast on 94 stitches on 4.0 mm needles and I'm working it in k1, p1 rib, increasing one stitch on the final row. I'm sure it won't flare anymore; it had better not!

We've decided that, at some point this month, we'll be driving out to the coast (weather and road conditions permitting) to visit parents and family. To that end, I've started a couple of small projects (did I mention this already?). Both our fathers will be getting a new pair of socks from us and my mom will be getting a new scarf. I think she likes the fuzzy, novelty yarn kind of scarf, but I refuse to knit another one. I can't stand the yarn or the scarves made with it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

These are the socks for my dad. The yarn is Trekking XXL in colour #108. They're being done in a simple k2, p2 rib with a stocking stitch foot. I like to carry the ribbing down the top of the foot usually, but for the sake of speed, I'm going with a plain foot this time. I haven't cast on for John's dad's socks yet but will soon.

Most of my knitting time has been spent on these:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

They shouldn't be taking as long as they are. These are the Baby Cable Wrist Warmers. For some reason, I'm having a problem with placing the thumb gusset in just the right spot and getting the two wrist warmers to match, patternwise. This should not be as difficult as it's being. It's not rocket science. I've come to the conclusion that the best way to make it work is to increase one stitch where I want the thumb gusset. That way, I can maintain the continuity of the pattern. It seems to be working now. The rust coloured one is supposed be the mate to the one I posted a picture of previously. The blue one will be the "test-the-pattern" pair. I've shown the finished rust wrist warmer (try saying that three times real fast) to a few customers at the store and they want, want, want the pattern. That's my priority for today. I want this pattern done and off my plate.

To that end, I'm off to knit, write and generally enjoy my day.

1 comment:

  1. You're so nice to give her the hat and booties for her suprise boy. She must have been speechless in the delivery room.

    My girlfriend was all set to have her 3rd boy. Had a ton of boy clothes. When her daughter popped out she actually told the doctor, "I think something is wrong because I'm having a boy."

    ReplyDelete