Monday, November 20, 2006

One more FO and a Cuteness Alert

The Earflap hat is finished. It was a fun knit once I actually got it going. I think I started the flaps 3 separate times and the cast on for the body of the hat 3 times, too. But once I got going, it went fairly quickly. Normally, a hat doesn't take me three days to knit, but I did make a few moderations that took a little figuring.

First, the pattern is written for two needles. I knitted it in the round. That meant I had to adjust the stitch count. Second, I didn't like the pattern on the earflaps; it didn't match either of the patterns in the body of the hat. I charted the earflap and worked them from my chart. Then, the top shaping, being written for two needles, didn't work in the round. My brain was too tired to think about that at night, so I worked it out on Sunday morning and finished the hat within an hour of putting in the markers for the decreases. All in all, I'm happy with it.

Here are two pictures. The first picture is pre-blocking, the second is post-blocking.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

For anyone interested, I've posted a file of the changes I made to the original pattern. It only contains the changes. Don't ask me for the original pattern; it's from a copyrighted booklet. Again, the posted file only contains the changes I made to the pattern, including the chart for the earflaps.

This third picture is really sweet. Meet Landon, the baby boy who was supposed to have been a baby girl. And he's wearing the little hat I gave him!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

How cute is that?!? It's been a while since I held a two-week old baby. He's sooooooo tiny! And the hat fits him perfectly.

4 comments:

  1. I thought those first two pictures were so cute, then I saw that third one! What a darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ev, the Ear Flaps hat is nice. Can you tell me which booklet the pattern is out of? I'm trying to find something similar for my daughters but haven't been successful in tracking down a pattern.

    The wee boy is beautiful and the hat is a perfect fit. You were very fortunate to get to hold him....I'm sure you enjoyed it. I know I would have. Everyone enjoys kids at a different stage.... mine is as a brand new baby, it lasts for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colette, see the post from Friday, November 17. Paton's booklet, #945, Family Accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect little angel; sleeping so soundly because he is nice and warm in his moss green hat.

    ReplyDelete