Today, I wanted a project that required absolutely no thinking, so I dug out a ball of the Opal sock yarn I purchased a few weeks ago and cast on for an experimental sock. The leg of the sock requires absolutely no thought - 64 stitches, 1 inch of 1x1 rib, then stocking stitch till I reach the heel. No thinking involved. It's an experimental sock in two ways. Firstly, I've never worked with this yarn before. It's Opal Clown, 45% cotton, 40% superwash wool and 15% nylon. It does feel different from the standard 75/25 wool/nylon blends, a little "harsher" on the fingers. But it IS knitting up nicely. Secondly, it's an experimental sock in that I'm going to (finally) try the German band heel on this sock. I've been very traditional in my sock making so far in that I've been using the traditional round heel for the most part. I did try a short row heel before, but just don't like the way they fit my feet.
This is what I've got so far. I do love the colours in this yarn and how it's knitting up.
The pattern, incidentally, is based on one found here (thanks Socknitters, for the help in finding it). I'll let you know how the experiment turns out.