Materials: 1 ball DK weight yarn (I used Paton's Look At Me, which is now discontinued, unfortunately), 1 set of 4mm dpn (I used a set of 5 for ease in decreasing), darning needle.
Cast on 64 stitches and divide evenly on 4 needles (16 each). Join, being careful not to twist your stitches. Knit every round for about 4 inches.
Rnd 1: *k6, k2tog* to end of rnd
Rnd 2 and every alternate rnd: Knit
Rnd 3: *k5, k2tog* to end
Rnd 5: *k4, k2tog* to end
Rnd 7: *k3, k2tog* to end
Rnd 9: *k2, k2tog* to end
Rnd 11: *k1, k2tog* to end
Rnd 13: *k2tog* to end (8 sts)
Rnd 14: *k2tog* to end (4 sts)
Place these 4 stitches on one needle and work an I-cord for about 2" (long enough to tie a knot). Cast off. Weave the ends in and tie the I-cord in a knot.
The apple cap is a variation of the above pattern instead of a rolled brim, I did about 8 rows of ribbing. I changed colour for the I-cord at the top and added a leaf. Just think of the possibilities! I was even considering one with a fun fur trim, but that might not be the best idea for a newborn.