Friday, June 17, 2005

Comments

Mokihana commented on my bird post and I found her comment to contain some great information on treating injured birds. I decided to take her comment out of the comment section and post it.

She wrote:
"I was a volunteer with a wildlife rescue group for many years, and learned the best way to care for birds who smash into windows and are temporarily unable to fly.

Carefully take the bird and put it in a small box with holes punched into it. No towels, as the birds' claws can get caught on the loops.. but you can put down paper towels. Close the box, and put half of it on a heating pad on low with a thin towel between the box and the heating pad. Leave half of the box off the heating pad.

Do not attempt to give water or food of any kind. Put the box in a quiet, dark place for a couple of hours and leave the bird undisturbed.

At the end of the time, carefully reach in with your hands to see if the bird is moving and active, and if so, and there appear to be no broken bones or wings... take the box outside near some trees, and open it up... and the bird will fly away to safety and re-orientation to the surroundings.

Please don't leave a stunned bird by itself on a lawn or porch where a roving cat or other predator might get it!"

Thanks Mokihana! Considering the number of birds around here, I will definitely keep your sound advice in mind.

Today is a crafting day. That's what John told me when I got up this morning. It's a gray and rainy day. I'll be finishing the doll sweater today (just a sleeve to do) and working on a couple of other things. I might even try to finish the Meadow Flowers shawl today. If I do, I'll post a pic of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment