Friday, June 24, 2005

Baby things

Sandra, in her comment, asked if I was planning to knit anything for my new grandchild. Ummm... Sandra? Pardon the sarcasm but... Duh! (*wink*) Of course I am. I've already begun. I would have announced this child sooner, but there are some "issues" surrounding this pregnancy that I need to get over. Not always easy.

However, I do love this child and will not punish it for it's mother's mistakes. Besides that, every baby should have something made by his or her grandmother, in my opinion. I've made something for each of my grandchildren, whether the gift was appreciated or not, and this child will be no different.

Here's what I've got so far...



I've decided to knit a boy sweater and a girl sweater. This one is the boy sweater. The girl sweater will be in white and will involve some lace knitting (I LOVE lace knitting, by the way!). I just haven't decided which pattern I'll do yet. It will also most likely be from the same book, Sirdar's "Early Arrivals". This is the 3-6 month size; I'm knitting it out of Regia sock yarn, believe it or not. I'm quite pleased with the way it's knitting up and the fact that it's washable wool is a real plus. For this mother, anything I give the baby will have to be eminently washable.

For a semi-mindless knit, last night I knitted Jackie Erickson-Schweitzer's Dolly Faroese shawl, just to see how it was constructed. Now, I'd like to knit an adult sized one, but I can only find patterns for sale online. I can see how it's put together, but to adapt her doll-sized shawl to an adult-sized shawl is something I can't quite grasp. I like the fact that it has shoulder shaping, which helps it to stay on the shoulders.

One of these days.... after I finish a few other projects. Speaking of finished projects, the Meadow Flowers shawl is finally off the needles. I don't have a picture yet; it looks like a pile of fluff at the moment. Because John's Dad has been visiting for a few days, I haven't been able to use the floor of the spare bedroom as a blocking board. He left this morning, so Sunday will be blocking day (I worked all day today and will work all day Saturday). I'll take some picturess of it when it's blocked. I think it's turned out quite nicely, but I have decided that I really don't care too much for garter stitch projects. I'm not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that the right side and the wrong side both look the same. It just doesn't seem right!

I have a question for you, those of you who read my blog. It's something that crossed my mind today. Why do you knit? Why do you love it? What keeps you knitting? What is it that inspires you? I was doing some thinking about that today and did some writing about it at work. When I have a chance, I'll copy that file to a disk and post it here. In the meantime, though, I'd love to hear from you. Why do YOU knit?

3 comments:

  1. Ev, I hear you re the child issues and perfectly understand loving the unborn grandbaby before you have even met them.

    Why do I knit? It is a creative outlet, a rewarding experience and challenge of my patience in one neat little package.

    I love a challenge and my ever changing likes and interests in knitting provide one more challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also knitting for a baby that may not have a perfect life. It seems even more important to give a child a gift of love in this situation. I can't change the past but I can live with the reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to knit...
    I love to learn new things (whether it be lace, short rows, intarsia, etc.)
    I love the feeling of the fiber running through my fingers.
    I love the fact that I actually stick with something and finish it.
    I love the joy on someone's face to know that I care enough to knit for them.
    I love the sanity that the stitches bring to me.

    ReplyDelete