Monday, January 15, 2007

So...

What's happening in YOUR corner of the world? Here, we're just marking time until we can move into the new place. Everything's packed that can be packed; it's too cold to do much in the way of cleaning (don't ask). All that's really left to do is to move furniture into the garage. Then, we just need some help to move it as soon as we get the go-ahead.

In the meantime, I'm working and knitting. It all helps mark the time. Tonight, I finished another Harlequin Cap from Elann.com. It's a child-sized hat, which will be put to good use by one of my grandchildren, I'm sure. I'll show you a picture another day. My camera's resting for the time being. (In reality, I just don't feel like taking pictures around here.. what can I say?)

I've also started (surprise!) a couple more projects. Last week on Chatters (see here), there was some discussion about lace and lace knitting. Wouldn't you know that that would get me lusting for some lace knitting! Don't ask me about the lace projects I already have on the go (like Icarus and a Myrna Stahmann shawl.. and... um... at least one other one); they're all packed away, waiting for the new house. I just HAD to!

Oh, which ones have I started, you ask? I'd show you pictures of the projects, but that would mean having to search. One of them is the Persimmon Lace Shawl from Knitters, Summer 2005. I'm working it in the same yarn as the pattern uses, Rowan Kid Silk Haze in the colour Marmalade. The other project is the Estonian Garden Stole from Fibertrends. I'm doing that one in Alessandra's Kid Silk, just like Rowan SLK, but not as pricy. I'm working it in a lovely rust colour on 3.75 mm (whatever that is in US) and it's a fairly simple knit, so far. At least, it's purl every wrong side row. The Persimmon shawl is patterned on both the right and wrong side, so it will need some concentration.

This week, we'll be staying at the home of a friend and the Persimmon shawl will accompany me. She's got better lighting in her house than we do here, so I'll be able to work on it in the evening if I so choose. I may even cast on for another Harlequin Cap.... just to keep the mindlessness going.

Oh, before I forget, John brought the neatest thing to my attention last night. It's been pretty cold here for the last couple of weeks and we're beginning to see ice on the lake, especially when there's no wind. Before we went out for something to eat last night, John told me that the lake was talking. I had no idea what he was talking about and all he would tell me was that I should go downstairs, outside and listen to what it had to say.

I bundled up and went out onto the deck and he was right! The water and ice moving together was making all sorts of sounds... cracks, pops, whines, squeaks... it was incredible! I'd never heard anything like it before. Today, we've got some wind happening and the ice has dissipated, so there are no sounds now, other than the water lapping at the beach. I don't think I'll ever forget that "concert".

In all likelihood, I won't be posting again until after we've moved at the end of the month. I will be online now and then, but won't take the time to post until we're more settled. For now, this is "see ya later"...

4 comments:

  1. The lake talking sounds really neat. Is your new place near the lake too? I've never heard of Alessandra's Kid Silk. I'll have to check it out. Good luck with moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck on the move!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that sound - up at Lake Winnepesaukee in New Hampshire. Very cool, isn't it!

    For a wonder, I know both of the lace pieces you're talking about and both are lovely. I keep thinking the Estonian is calling my name - very quietly but persistently :)

    Good luck with your move and, when you're ready to start blogging again, we'll be here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your move goes well - it's wonderful you found a place where it can be just you and John that's still so near the water.

    It's not been cold enough to hear that sound on the pond this year, but hearing the ice talking can be eerie until you're used to it. Then it's enjoyable.

    Stay well, I'll keep checking in :)

    ReplyDelete