Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Nanaimo Bars - the recipe

Here, by request, is the recipe for Nanaimo Bars

Base:

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
4 tbsp. cocoa
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups graham wafer crumbs
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Melt butter, sugar and cocoa over hot water until sugar dissolves. Add beaten egg and vanilla; remove from heat. Add crumbs, coconut and nuts. Press into well-buttered 8x8" pan. Refrigerate until set.

Filling:

1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp. custard powder
3 tbsp. hot water

Combine these four ingredients until smooth. When base has cooled, spread filling over base and return to refrigerator until set.

Topping:

4 squares semi-sweet chocolate
1 tbsp. butter

Melt chocolate and butter together over hot water. Spread over filling and chill until firm. Using a hot knife, cut into squares or bars.


I cut these into 1" squares as they are very rich.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I shall makes these this weekend :)

    Marc will bless your heart as I rarely make him sweets (I take the lazy way out and do yoghurt or lite ice cream).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - the treats look yummy - please tell me what is custard powder? I do not know that one. I can see why you would have to cut them into tiny squares. I love you icarus (lace) and the socks are too much. What yarn is that? I adore the colors - so bright and cheery! Your moon photos below are wonderful. I love the moon - it makes me realize what is and isn't important in life and how tiny all our problems really are...

    ReplyDelete