Saturday, October 21, 2006

...and on the knitting front

There really isn't a lot happening. On my days off this week, I got very little knitting done. I did, however, start (ack, that dreaded startitis... I've been afflicted again!) a couple of small projects. I could take pictures, but there really isn't much to show yet.

I think I mentioned the baby booties I started, didn't I? The pattern is a Garnstudio pattern, found here. It knits up fast, but I've still only got one knitted and it's not all sewn together yet. The second one is about one third completed.

The second project I started is for a web friend, but she doesn't know it yet. All I'll say about it at this point is that it's being made in a yarn that we've carried at the store from Day 1. It hasn't sold and I'm not sure why. It's a lovely yarn to knit with. More details on that tomorrow. All I can remember about it right now is that it's called "Gaucho" and it's a worsted weight superwash wool. I think my friend will be surprised.

Then, the third project I started... There's this four-legged creature that shares the house with us and he has discovered all of my favourite places to sit and knit. Many a time, I've prepared my knitting spot, left to get something I'd forgotten, turned around and found Romeo curled up precisely where I was about to sit down. I've decided to knit him his very own spot - one of Cat Bordhi's cat beds. Hopefully, it will keep him off my favourite seat. Again, I just started the moebius strip yesterday, so there's really not much to show yet. As it progresses, I'll post pictures.

I know she probably will not see this, but today is my mother's 75th birthday. My mom has a computer but isn't online any more. I know that a couple of my sisters read this blog, so I'm trusting they'll let her know I've announced her age to the world.

My mom and dad moved to Canada as newlyweds from Holland in 1953. They are the only members of their respective families to have emigrated. They settled first in Winnipeg, where my mom gave birth to six children, me being the eldest. In 1966, they moved their family from Winnipeg to Abbotsford, British Columbia. The trip took almost a week, as I recall. I was twelve at the time. Their seventh child, my youngest brother, was born a few years later in Abbotsford. Now, in addition to her own seven children, there are sixteen grandchildren and six great granchildren, with two more on the way (one of which is my fifth granchild). How's that for a legacy?


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Happy 75th Birthday, Mom! We love you.

3 comments:

  1. Happy, happy birthday to Ev's Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ev, have you ever heard that funny saying...if you want the most comfortable chair in the house, move the cat? :-) Good luck with the cat bed...I'll bet your kitty still heads for your chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your Mom. What a wonderful legacy.

    ReplyDelete