Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Hello... have you missed me?

It feels like forever since I posted. I know it hasn't been that long, but it feels like it. I've almost been feeling guilty. Almost. On the other hand, there hasn't been much to write about.

Today, well, I could say the same, but there are a couple of little things I can tell you about. First, I think I mentioned that I'm making a gift for a friend. I thought I'd show you a picture of that project; it's almost finished. I've got about 4" of 2x2 ribbing to finish and then it's done.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This pattern is from an old Paton's booklet. I thought it would make a great gift. The yarn is not the one I mentioned in my last post. It's Online Linie 157, Tessa, 100% superwash wool, worsted weight. It's being worked on 4.5 mm needles and has knit up fairly quickly. If I worked on only one project at a time, it would have been completed in two days, probably.

I've also bought yarn to make a scarf for my mother. Both John and I agree that the colour would look good on her, especially with a black jacket she wears for "good".

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm planning on making a multidirectional scarf with this pattern: click here. I've used this pattern before, as well as Iris Schreier's MD scarf. They end up looking the same, really. It's a simple knit once you understand the process. The yarn is Feza Yarns, Fiona, a blend of 57% acrylic, 25% polyamid and 18% mohair. It looks as if it will knit up into a stripy pattern. I'll post pictures once I actually get it started. First, though, I have one or two small projects I want to finish.

This is one of them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I know, it's just a teaser. The stitch, of course, is baby ribs. It's the same rib I've used in my Java Rib socks. I'm not going to show you yet what it is I'm knitting in this stitch, other than to say it isn't socks. When I have the second item done completely, I'll post a picture. The yarn I'm using for this project is nice, to say the least. It's Luxury brand (from Peru), Fine Merino Superwash wool DK (that's the name; quite a mouthful, isn't it?), 100% superwash wool. It's a real joy to knit with, nice and soft and cushy. I'm using 3.5 mm needles and it's knitting up beautifully. That's what I wanted to show you, how it's knitting up. The stitch definition is good and it's really nice against the skin, and right now, I'm wearing it against the skin of one of my more sensitive areas. Um..... that didn't come out quite right. My wrist, ok? Enuff said.

I've also been playing with swatches. I think there's another scarf pattern brewing in the recesses of my brain. Amazingly, every time I go through my set of Barbara Walker treasuries, I come up with more ideas for things. There's just not enough time to follow through on all of them. I have sweater designs drawn out that I doubt I'll ever get to. I have scarf ideas that are constantly brewing. Sock ideas, fingerless glove ideas..... *sigh* Will there ever be enough time to do it all???

Now, I need to go see my doctor today. I'm all out of my blood pressure pills. It's always fun to go and have my pressure checked and to be told I should lose about five pounds. Oh well, it's only a few pounds. I can do that. Walking is good exercise. I can walk more. Just not today or for the next couple of days. Why, you ask?

I walked home from work yesterday. It's about an hour's walk; it's not a difficult walk. It's mostly flat. The scenery's great; I get to walk across a bridge. (We live on the other side of the lake from where I work.) Thing is, I wasn't really wearing walking shoes yesterday. I was wearing a clog type of shoe that I've had for years. They're comfortable enough for work, but for walking... well, only short distances, apparently. I have blisters. On the bottom of the balls of my feet. Both feet. I won't be doing much walking today.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing progress pics of the multidirectional scarf. I love seeing what it looks like in different yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure would appreciate the pattern for this lovely white knitted dickie - I can't find a pattern anywhere and my sister would love one for her birthday.

    Pretty please? Thanks. My e-mail is Sherrybird50@yahoo.com.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete