Monday, October 30, 2006

Little Things

My youngest daughter informed me last week that my newest grandchild is due on January 2, 2007. Somehow, that information got me started on thinking about baby things. To this point, we have no idea whether she's having a boy or a girl, so choosing colours is a little more difficult. However, I've been particularly drawn to this lovely shade of mossy green, so that's what I've been knitting with. And, this is what I've been knitting...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I did mention the booties once before; the pattern can be found at the Garnstudio web site (or you can click here and you'll be taken directly to the pattern). I like how they turned out; the pattern calls for a crocheted picot edging around the top edge, but I kind of like it plain. Perhaps if the baby is a little girl, I'll crochet around the edge, but otherwise, I think I'll leave it as is. Here's a closer picture of the booties...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And a close up of the top knot hat (pattern is in my sidebar, under "My Patterns")...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Because I don't know this baby's gender yet, I'm not sure what to knit in the way of a sweater, which I WOULD like to do. I'm thinking of designing one. I don't think colour matters too much, as long as the sweater is cute. I really love the yarn I've been using, Luxury Fine Merino Superwash DK, from Peru. As I said in a previous post, it's a nice, soft, cushy wool. I'm thinking of a sweater in that particular yarn.

I've also been working on a design using that yarn and a baby cable pattern (I wrote about that before, too, remember?). I have one wrist warmer finished and I'm loving it! Actually, I've already done two wrist warmers, but the second one is better than the first. The first one was my trial version. I've got it right now.

Allow me to introduce "The Baby Rib Wrist Warmers".... or.. wrist warmer (singular), at this point...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now, I need to knit the second one and write out the pattern. I love the nice, long, 4" cuff on this one. I've been wearing the first one while on the computer in the mornings and that's the perfect length for keeping my right wrist nice and warm when it's just above freezing in our bedroom, where the computer is.

Special note for Cathy (you know who you are)... We did go to the Halloween party on Saturday evening, and our costumes worked out really well. However, I have no pictures to show you. The hostess took pictures, and promised to send me a picture of John and myself, so when I get it, I'll post it here, ok? For anyone wondering, we went as an artist (John) and his painting (me). I took a sheet of pressed cardboard, cut a face-sized hole in it, then created a work of art (and that is an overstatement), and attached a length of elastic. I wore black clothes and painted my face to match the "artwork". John wore the roomy's shop smock and a black beret and filled his pockets with paint brushes. Throughout the night, he'd come at me with a brush, "touching up" his masterpiece. There was a lot of giggling on my part.

Back to my knitting; the day is mine and I intend to waste it away by knitting. No wait, knitting's not a waste of time. ;)

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea for halloween costumes. Very creative.

    The baby hat and booties look wonderful. Always fun to knit for new babies. And that moss green can easily be girled up with a little pink or lace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the soon to be grandchild! I wish I had some little ones to knit for. But my time will come. My kids are only teenagers! The hat and booties are adorable!

    I love your new baby cable wristwarmer pattern. I'll have to make a pair, since my daughters wear them to school all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your newest grandchild! The hat and booties are fantastic. I love the color!

    The wristwarmers are wonderful too! I need some now too!

    ReplyDelete