Sunday, December 04, 2005

Just a thought

Or perhaps an afterthought?

I've never done (but have read about) an afterthought heel in a sock, but after seeing the ladies in the knitting class at the store doing their Christmas stockings with that heel, I decided to give it a try. This afternoon, I cast on for a sock, in dk weight yarn so it will work up quicker than 4 ply. I've read the directions and I'm giving it a go. I'll keep you informed as to how it works out.

Here's the sock so far...



See the dark stripe? That's where the heel will be put in later. All afternoon, my mind's been mulling over the measurements. Two inches for the toe, two inches for the heel? Most of my standard heels are 1.5 inches. Should I go with that measurement for this one, too? Does that mean the knitting for the foot should be 3.5 inches less than my total foot length? Or should I play it safe and allow 3.75 inches?

Those of you who've done socks with an afterthought heel may feel free to advise me on this one. It's a learning experience for me. I'm not even sure I'll make the second sock, but if this one turns out well, I will. I've decided to do the heel and toe in the same colour I used for my waste yarn. Both yarns, incidentally, are Sirdar's Country Style DK and the sock is done on 56 stitches, with 28 for the heel.

I also finished a top down hat today. I found the directions at I'm Knitting As Fast As I Can. It's a great technique which enables you to use ANY yarn at all to knit a hat. And the best part is, there's no swatching! I love it! Here's how my first attempt turned out.



*grin* I like it, but when I put it on and I've got on my warm sweater and my snow boots, I look perfectly equipped for life on the farm. (My apologies to those farm folk out there.. I mean no disrespect at all. I grew up in farm country.) I simply don't look great in toques.

2 comments:

  1. Your leg doesn't look all that long but I guess if you are just trying. I always use an ATH and love it. I do 2 socks on 2 circs and can't be bothered with the heel flap thingy. I also don't like the way the traditional heel fits my foot. and I also knit tons of socks for others and I like the way the ATH fits the "generic" foot.
    I usually count on 3" to 3 1/2" for both the heel and toe. If I come up a bit short after finishing off the toe, I just do a few extra rounds of just plain knitting on the heel and that gives added length to leg and foot. (Usually do about 5 rounds but if I need the length I do 10 or more)
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ev, you are going to enjoy the Second Treasury very much! I use it and the First more than any other knitting books, especially when designing.

    I find that Opal is just a touch finer than most of the other sock yarns. You might want to check your gauge... It does bloom in a lovely way after a trip through the washing machine and dryer.

    The one time I tried an afterthought heel I was greatly entertained, but it did NOT fit my foot at all. I am going to enjoy watching you make one -- maybe I did it wrong?

    ReplyDelete