Tuesday, August 23, 2005

One down, one to go

I'm aching to show you a picture of the sock for my sock exchange partner. I'm really happy with how the design turned out. However, I won't show you until Jeane's seen her socks first. She emailed me this morning to tell me that my socks from her are in the mail already. It's exciting knowing that there's something coming in the mail that isn't a bill. I'm really looking forward to getting these socks; it will be the first pair of handknit socks that someone else made just for me. I love that!

On another note, we've been getting shipments of yarn in at the store. Six large boxes arrived yesterday after the four large boxes we got last week. And some of the yarn is spectacular. One skein of Noro Silver Thaw found it's way into my knitting bag. It hasn't told me what it wants to become yet, though. I've tried casting on for two different projects (yes, I know... another project!) but it made it very clear that it didn't want to be either. Silver Thaw is a combination of merino wool, angora and silk worsted weight yarn if I remember correctly (I don't have the tag in front of me) and it's beautifully soft. The colours, being a Noro yarn, are exquisite. At first, I thought it would make a very nice shrug. I even found a pattern in Knitter's Review (I think that was the name of the magazine..... brain's not functioning too well today) Summer 05 that was in the right gauge. I worked one repeat of the pattern, looked at it and ripped it out. It just didn't work with this yarn. Then, this morning, I cast on for a scarf of my own design. It didn't feel right, either. So now, I'll just have to wait until something screams "Do ME in the Silver Thaw" and keep working on the projects already on the needles.

There was also some lace weight merino from Skacel in one of the boxes. I can't wait to get my fingers into that one. I must admit that almost every box I opened had something that made me drool just a little more. All except the furry yarns, that is. Can't stand those. ;)

I do have an FO to report, too. John's work socks are finally done. For a plain and simple pair of socks, they took long enough to finish. But he has them now and will be wearing them to work with pride on Thursday. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment