Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Bought... and startitis strikes again!

I went shopping the other day. There are two yarn stores in Kelowna, the one I work in and the other one, Kelowna Yarns. I went there. They carry things we don't and I like to check now and then to see just what they do have. Well, I came home with a couple of things.



First was the Fourth Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara G. Walker. I've never really looked at her books before, but once I did, I realized very quickly what a valuable resource her books are. I fully intend to get all of her knitting treasuries.

The second thing I bought was two balls of Lanett Superwash wool. For some reason, the colours in this particular colourway pulled me and I just had to buy it. It's a very nice, soft wool. I'm thinking I'll use them for socks (for me), but I could be persuaded by an interesting pattern. Two balls (at 195 metres each) will also make a nice baby sweater. If I choose to make another baby sweater. Big if.

And yes, startitis has struck again. *big sigh* I get intrigued by patterns and they swirl around in my imagination, sometimes for weeks, teasing me, begging me to start them. This one's been in there ever since I first saw the pattern and that's months ago. I'm beginning to feel guilty about not putting any new listings in the FO list.

Anyway, it's the Field of Flowers scarf; I've posted the link in my sidebar. The pattern intrigued me because there's really very little in the way of instruction. On Monday, I started it. Hmmm.. I've been seeing lots about the Summer of Lace... it certainly has been MY summer of lace, hasn't it?

Here's how it's looking so far:



The yarn I'm using is a combination of Laine du Nord's Baby Star (100% washable merino) and Kertzer's Ovation (75% kid mohair and 25% silk), very similar to Rowan's Kid Silk Haze. Knit together, it almost feels like an angora blend, very luscious. It's a little wider than I'd anticipated, but I've decided I don't mind that. It will be one of those scarves that you can drape over your head and around your neck if need be... or use it as a stole. It's going to take a lot of yarn, though. I can tell that already. So far, I've used about half a ball of each yarn and I've only got a couple of inches of scarf to show for it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be), the weather has turned quite warm, 30C plus, and it's not knitting weather. That means the only knitting I get done is at the store, where it's air conditioned. I am hoping that I can get a little knitting done in the mornings here at home, as that's when it's the coolest. The rest of the time is spent on the dock with my feet in the water or on the deck under the umbrella. Such a tough life!

2 comments:

  1. I have the First and Second Book and Love them. I have considered getting the 4th, would love to know more about what type of stitch patterns are in it. Are they unique, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously want her books too. ;-) I just got the 1st one from the library and it's great. I am enjoying seeing your various projects, they are all so beautiful. I think that my knitting goes through stages: sometimes I enjoy the process - watching my hands create beautiful things; and other times it's the end results that matter (=FO). Go with the flow, don't feel guilty about it, before you know it you will return to finishing the projects, right?

    ReplyDelete