Saturday, January 31, 2009

Some Small Measure of Progress

The sun is shining; it's a bright, crisp day here in the Okanagan. That means there's enough light to work on the Ropes & Picots cardigan. That is to say, it's bright enough to knit together the blue and black of the picot edging. This is the beginning of the right front. The back and the left front are both at the same spot, the first underarm decrease. Now that the right front has the pattern set, it won't take long for me to get this piece to the same spot. Once the pattern is set, it's a simple knit, really.

The goal is to have this cardi ready to wear once the weather warms up a little. Spring is, after all, just around the corner, isn't it? Isn't it?

On the glove/mitten front, I've been playing around a bit this week. I have a pair of gloves all charted out and ready to knit. I found some yarn in my stash that I thought would work and got the glove started. It's blah. The colours just don't do it for me. I was hoping it would pop, but it just fizzles. I'll be frogging this. And then, I'll just wait until the right yarn comes along. That said, I do have an idea or two about colours, but it will just have to wait.

Also in the basket, you can see a bit of white knitting. That will become a cute little cardigan for Ethan. The pattern is from an old Phildar baby pattern book that I've had for years. On the front of the cardigan, there are little sailboats sailing along the bottom edge, worked in purl stitches. I'll post pictures of it when I get to that point; right now, it's just white stocking stitch, not terribly interesting to look at.... or knit, for that matter. It's perfect tv knitting. The yarn I'm using for this cardigan is Patons Beehive Baby cotton, no longer available. I found about 8 balls of it in my stash. It's nice and soft, works up nicely and will be eminently washable.

Now that the gloves are again on hold, I've found a Drops mitten pattern that I quite like. And, because I have enough yarn left over from Adrian's Skull Cap, I decided to cast on. I really like the picot edging on these mittens, and the colour-work cuff helps to cinch in the wrist. I did change the pattern just a touch around the thumb, but it's nothing that will take away from the pattern. This is where I'm at as of last night, about halfway up the thumb gusset. Hopefully, I'll get at least one mitten done this weekend.

Even though I know spring isn't far away, I still want these mittens done sooner rather than later. Once all the sidewalks are clear of ice (from packed snow), I'll probably be walking to work again. The mornings will still be chilly, so a nice pair of mittens (which will match my black coat) will come in very handy.

The yarn for these mittens is Pingouin 3,5, 50% wool, 50% acrylic, making them washable and long wearing. I'm knitting them on 4.0 mm needles.

Now, back to knitting... and another cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment