Friday, January 23, 2009

Flying Geese & Partridge Feet

No, I don't have pictures of geese flying. The title of the post is the title of the book that the pattern for the mittens in the following pictures comes from. This is one half of a pair of double-rolled mittens.


I love it! It's so incredibly warm (although, I haven't actually worn this mitten outdoors), I can feel the heat radiating from my fingers and staying inside the mitten. Does that make sense?


I've only done one of the mittens; I'm only going to do one of the mittens. I was an idiot. I second guessed the pattern and used my not-so-good judgement for the length of the hand. It's too short. Oh well. Knitting this mitten has been a really good learning experience.

I will definitely be making a pair of these for myself. If I'm walking to work in any kind of cold weather, these will definitely keep my fingers nice and warm. I love the look and feel of the cuffs, so cushy and absolutely yummy!

I used some Berocco yarn (worsted weight) from my stash; sorry, I don't remember what it is, only that I was making a cardigan for myself with it and I used it to make a gift scarf for a co-worker. I still have a few balls/cakes (no labels) of the yarn, plenty to make a complete pair of mittens. The inner yarn is part of the free yarn I got a number of years ago, a lighter White Buffalo-type yarn. The cuff is the leftover Bernat Cashmere I used for my wristers. Surprisingly, they're worked on 2.75 mm dpns.

When I do make a complete pair of these mittens, I'm going to alter the pattern slightly at the top shaping. The written instructions are a little unclear as to how they're shaped. I don't think it's a big deal, really. I intend to shape them like other mittens I've made in the past, similar to top down toe shaping. Maybe. And I'll make the hand long enough.

The book, incidentally, is "Flying Geese & Partridge Feet, More Mittens from Up North & Down East" by Robin Hansen with Janetta Dexter.

1 comment: