I had started a pair of gloves for myself a while back, but I wasn't really happy with the way the first one was coming out. So, last week, I frogged it and started another pair. I checked my gauge, consulted Ann Budd's "Handy Book of Patterns, decided on a colourwork pattern and cast on.
Once the cuff was finished to my satisfaction, I started the hand. And encountered a small problem. When I tried the glove on, at the point of starting the pinky finger, it was too big. The cuff was fine, but the hand was too loose. John tried it on.
John's getting a new pair of gloves.
As of right now, two fingers are finished and I'll be picking up for the middle finger shortly. There's a good chance the first glove will be finished today.
The cuff. I started with 60 stitches and knit 10 rows of stocking stitch before starting the 2-colour ribbing, one inch of it. The snowflake pattern is from Alice Starmore's fairisle book (can't remember the title offhand; I'm working from a couple of photocopied pages), worked over 10 rows, then another inch of 2-colour ribbing. The rest of the glove is worked as per Ann Budd's instructions.
I no longer have the ball bands for the yarn, but I do know it is JarboGarn, the same brand as one of my favourite lace yarns. It comes in only three colours, these two and a light gray. I'm using 2.5mm needles.
As for the Ropes & Picots cardigan, it's coming along nicely. I've reached the armhole shaping on the back and have decided to get all three body pieces to the same point. To that end, I've cast on the left front panel. It's a pretty easy knit once you get past the picot edging. Once I've got all three pieces to the same place, I may just put the whole thing on a circular needle and work the shaping at the same time on all three. Maybe. We'll see when we get to that stage.
Now, back to knitting, not just writing about it.