Thursday, February 09, 2006

One Toe Up

Yup, I've finished one toe up sock done Magic Loop style. Here's the sock in progress...


Ready to start the heel. The pattern I used has a gusset and heel flap heel, which I like. I find that, generally speaking, it's a style of heel that I find most comfortable and fits me best.


The heel is complete. Now that I've done one sock, I can figure out how to make the heel flap a little deeper... not a big deal.


And onwards, up the leg. I did this sock in 2x2 rib, which I find most comfortable. Interestingly, John was watching me knit this sock and commented on the "pattern". He likes this rib, too, and loved the colour. He was a little disappointed when I told him this was an experimental sock and was being knit to fit MY foot, not his.


Part way up the leg. That's pretty much where I left off last night.


This morning, while waiting for John to get ready for work, I got the leg done to about 6.5" and when I got home from dropping him off, I cast off. After reading all sorts of sources that say the cast off needs to be loose, I did it my way. As I said, I did a 2x2 rib (2 knit, 2 purl), so one round before the actual cast off, I increased one stitch between each of the 2 knit stitches, giving me 3 knit, 2 purl all the way around. Then I did a standard cast off. It worked perfectly.

Now I feel empowered! Now I know I can do what's been on my mind to do... knit each of the socks in the Lucy Neatby book, "Cool Socks, Warm Feet". I keep looking at that book; I love the socks in it. The toe up socks intimidated me. Not any more! I'm not giving myself a time limit on that project, but I will do it. Just you wait and see!

Oh yes, the pattern I followed... You can find it at "Chery Knits". It's in her left sidebar, under "Patterns". It's well written and easy to follow. Though it's written for 2 socks on 2 circulars, it was very easy to adapt to the Magic Loop method. Thanks Chery!!

It's a beautiful, sunny, crisp day in the Okanagan today and I have the car, so I'm off to run a few errands. Enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sock! It was alot of fun to watch it grow. ;o) And thanks for the cool tip regarding how you did the cast off. I may have to try toe up socks one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed you linked to my toe up sock pattern. I'm glad you liked it and it works for you.

    ReplyDelete