Saturday, January 30, 2010

So, I Got This Book....

John suggested that I go for a walk today, so I had him drop me off near my nearest LYS, Kelowna Yarn & Needlework (there's a link in my sidebar). I like stopping in there every now and then just to see if there's anything I really, really, really want.

I hadn't intended on buying anything, but when I saw this book, I knew I had to have it. It's a Cat Bordhi book, after all, and I already have her other books. I'm intrigued. I'm so intrigued, in fact, that I pulled out some 2.25 mm needles and cast on, following all instructions carefully.


In the book, she has you make and cut out a tracing of your foot, as accurate a tracing as you can make. On this tracing, you make notes about stitch count, where the heel starts, where the leg opening will be (yup, you read that correctly) and where increases take place. The first sock you make is your "Discovery Sock", the one that will become your template for all the following socks using that weight of sock yarn (you would have to make a discovery sock for every yarn weight you would want to use... if you use something other than fingering weight yarn).


For my sock, I'm using Trekking Maxima on 2.25 mm needles. As you can see, I have the toe shaping finished and I'm working up the foot. In a nutshell, this sock is made by making the entire foot, toe to heel, first and then opening up the foot shape and knitting leg straight up. I'm simplifying, of course. The method, though, intrigues me.

Here you can see my "foot", with the line that marks the beginning of the heel. I won't give away anything from the book, but I will say that, if this works, I may just be converted to making my socks toe up. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment