Sunday, January 10, 2010

First FO of 2010

John has new socks! I started these a long time ago (April, 2009), but they're finally finished. It's amazing what one can do when one just sits down and does it!


There is another project on the needles, another one started in 2009, that has been seeing some quality time this past week. This is the Wool Peddler's shawl from the book "Folk Shawls" by Cheryl Oberle. The yarn is Marks & Kattens Fame Trend, 75% superwash wool and 25% nylon (polyamide).


This project lives beside my recliner and when I can't knit anything that requires concentration, is the project I pick up. At this point, it's just garter stitch, with four increases on every right side row. Once finished, I have a feeling this will be a comfortable, much used shawl that will go well with a lot of things in my "wardrobe" (that makes my collection of clothing sound like so much more than it really is).

Today, I intend to finish the cobweb doily. I'm on the edging section now and from here on, each row works up to the points, which are worked separately, back and forth.

As a quick aside... two members of my family have a birthday today. Happy Birthday Stuart!! Happy Birthday Eric!!

And on a more serious note, yesterday John received a phone call from his cousin in Vancouver, advising him that his father had been admitted to the hospital early Saturday morning. He'd been having problems breathing. John spoke with Tony's doctor and found out that not only was he having problems breathing (he's now on oxygen), he's also been suffering from prostate cancer and experiencing renal failure. John had been wondering why Tony's prescription budget had recently been getting higher and higher; we now know why. Tony never let John know what was going on; mind you, his mind isn't the sharpest anymore and he probably didn't even think to mention it.

As of this morning, Tony is still waiting for a bed; he's still in Emergency and is, apparently, resting comfortably. At 90 years of age, with his current medical problems, it's unlikely that he'll be able to return to his home in the assisted living building he's been in for the last couple of years. The level of care just isn't suited to his current condition. That means that John may have to travel to Vancouver to make some arrangements for his father's care. At the moment, though, Tony's not going anywhere. His doctors want to do more tests before they'll even consider sending him home.

On that note, I'm off to finish a doily and bake some bread (whole wheat... healthy!)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ev, sorry to hear about your father-in-law (it sucks to be stuck in the ER).

    I have the Poetry in Stitches (?) book from the library -I'm sure I saw it on your blog. Beautiful knitwear. And I like your Ravelry-style buttons too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your blog, the content as well as the layout. Thank you for writing it.

    I hope things go as well as possible for your father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure John is delighted with his new socks. And the shawl is coming along well. And I am sure the knitting helps so much when a loved on is is. I hope that your Father in law is comfortable and at peace with himself. Sending good thoughts his way. :)

    ReplyDelete