Saturday, January 09, 2010

Darn It!

We love our handknit socks. John, especially, loves the socks I've made him. He's been wearing them almost exclusively this winter and, as is inevitable, one of his socks grew a hole at the base of the heel.

Now, my usual reaction to holes in socks is to hold them above the nearest garbage receptacle and exclaim "Darn it!" as I drop them into said receptacle. This time, it was different. This hole looked more like a snag than a hole caused by wear. I figured I could repair it.


I went online to research "darning", did some reading and decided I could handle it. It's been a lot of years since I darned socks; I don't intend to make a habit of it. Even John told me not to bother (apparently, these are not his favourite socks).

I did it. It isn't perfect, but there's no more hole and John will be wearing these socks for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment