Sunday, February 24, 2008

It's Back!

My knitting muse has returned! I knew that working on something fairly mindless would eventually inspire me!

I've decided that I need a new pair of gloves. I've had the same pair of alpaca gloves for the last couple of years now, and this winter, one of the finger tips has given up. I could repair it, certainly, and probably will. It is, however, a good excuse to knit myself a new pair.

My only problem is... what pattern? I've been looking around and haven't found anything that screams "KNIT ME!". Yanno what I mean? So, I'm going to design my own. I have two shades of Jarbo Garn in 4 ply. This is the same yarn I've been using for my lace shawls, the yarn from Sweden that I love, love, love. Just heavier. I have the cream and the charcoal; I might just pick up a skein of the light gray as well. We'll see.

Today, John and I walked over to the library (about a 30 minute walk there), where I had a video on hold (Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Knitting Workshop, Part 3"). I picked up a couple of knitting books as well. One of them is Alice Starmore's "Book of Fair Isle Knitting". That is one inspiring book! I wouldn't mind having it in my personal library, to be honest. The second book is a mitten book.

As of about an hour ago, the only decision I've made for sure is that the cuff is going to be corrugated ribbing. I've already started the first glove. I can tell even now that these are going to be warm and cozy gloves. So far, this is what I have... (by the way, I have no intention of knitting the gloves shown in the picture; I want mine to be uniquely me)

Photobucket

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment