Thursday, January 24, 2008

A No Pic Update

Sorry, no pictures today. Pictures of a round shawl at the stage it's at just aren't very pretty. No, it isn't finished yet, but it's getting there.

I decided to re-try the Feather & Fan pattern and managed to get it going, with the help of a lot of stitch markers. On Tuesday night, while watching the DaVinci Code, I used up all of the cream yarn and attached the dark gray, which is the edgin yarn. When doing the stretch test (hold the center point and the outer edge, making sure nothing slides off the needle, stretch it out), I figure the shawl to be about 5-5 1/2 feet across. That's dry stretching it. I'm hoping it blocks out to at least 6' across, and I don't think I'll be far off that mark.

Last night, I decided to start the edging. Last night, I put the whole thing aside to stew. I tried three different edgings, each a couple of times. To say I was frustrated when I gave up in favour of a bath is an understatement. Even John asked if he should tread carefully around me for a while. *grin*

I could swear there was a mistake in one edging chart; how can an edging that starts Row 1 on 7 stitches and ends at Row 12 with only 6 stitches work? Where does that extra stitch for Row 1 come from? Thin air?? And that was in a simple Van Dyke lace edging!

The other two charts I tried... well, it was probably operator error. I couldn't say for sure that there were mistakes, but I could not get either to work. The best thing to do in a case like that is simply to put it aside for a while.

Now, where did the bag with John's socks go?

1 comment:

  1. Ev - I tagged you :) Details are in today's blog post.

    I'm dying to see your shawl because I know it's going to be absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete