Friday, December 29, 2006

Let's see if Blogger will co-operate

I'm back... sort of. We're at the house for a short while today, mostly to drop some stuff off and to pick up a few things that may need laundering. And, most importantly, to blog.

Some of you left some wonderfully touching comments on my last post. You had me in tears (no, I was sobbing actually). I am not feeling sorry for myself. This is something I know we will get through. It's just not fun while it's happening. We'll be back here in the house by this weekend, primarily to pack everything up in preparation for a move. We've not yet found a place to move to, but I'm confident that the right place will come up at exactly the right time. As difficult as it is, I'm not worrying. Really, I'm not. Oh, ok, I'm worrying a little. But just a little.

On to knitting! I told you in the last (brief) post that I have knitting to show you. Here we go... where shall I start?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Remember how excited I was/am about top down hats? Well, I don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm amazed at how many people find my blog via Google searches for earflap hats. So.... I've been making top down earflap hats. This is one of them that is an adult version. Here's another picture of the same pattern, but with garter stitch flaps rather than stocking stitch flaps.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

...and in guy colours. And, yes, the pattern is available. For now, you can click here. It will (when blogger smartens up) be available on my freebie site as well.

I have this lovely book that I crack open now and then. I took it along to the house we're staying at right now and read through it (a little more thoroughly than I usually do). I made this little hat, kid sized, using the book as inspiration.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Oh, the book? It's "Style Your Own Kid's Knits" by Kate Buller. Love it! The only problem I have with the book is that the patterns are written only for dk weight yarn. This little hat is knitted with worsted weight yarn. I altered it to be the size as written in the book. It's such a cute design! I figure it will fit a child from the ages of about 4-10ish... or a small adult.

Because there wasn't a whole lot to do while staying at someone else's home, I spent most nights knitting. One other little project I completed (apart from choosing buttons) is this little sweater for my new grandson.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The pattern is from Sirdar's Early Arrivals 2, knitted in Sirdar Snuggly DK in a lovely dark green/teal, 3-6 months size. It was a quick knit, done in about 3 evenings. Now, we just have to make a trip to the coast to give it to Teagan in person.

I've also been working on John's sweater. The remainder of the body is a great "tv watching" project. I'm not sure how soon I'll have it finished as we'll be doing a lot of packing and preparing to move in the next week, but he will definitely have it before long. The left sleeve is complete now; the stitches for the right sleeve need to be picked up and knitted. The body, as well, needs completing, but that's the tv project. We can't be packing ALL day, after all.

Well, it's time for us to head back to the house we're staying in for now. We've been keeping the heat down as low as possible here at the lake, so it's bloody cold here (didn't take my coat off until an hour and a half after we got here); why pay for heat when there's no one staying here? As I said, next week will see the bulk of our possessions packed up and ready to move. For now, we'll be enjoying warmth and hot water for as long as we can!

To all of you, many of you who've become friends in this past year, I wish you a very happy New Year. May 2007 be a better year for all of us!

7 comments:

  1. Ev, I'm so glad you are doing ok. I know how hard it is to live not knowing what the future will bring, or when it will come.
    I've been there....

    The knitting you are doing is theraputic. The little cardigan for your new grandson is gorgeous. He's going to look so handsome in it.

    Pleae let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Prayers and positive thoughts are coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe your water situation. What a terrible thing to have to deal with.

    Your grandson's sweater is adorable and so is he. What a beautiful wee one he is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness mom, I love that hat!!!The pink and brown one, I think you should make me one like that! Lol! I love you and I hope that everything goes smoothly, Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *SO* glad to hear from you and know that - at least for now - you're doing okay!

    Those hats are just - you should pardon the expression - the rat's behind! And that little sweater is going to make your new grandchild look like a little prince :)

    You seem to be taking things relatively calmly - I'd have snatched myself baldheaded by now. I am continuing to hold a good thought and believe you will find a perfect home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not what happens to us, it's how we act when they happen that matters.
    It sounds like you are making the best of your situation and trying to keep positive. Things will all work out and perhaps better than you ever imagined.
    Thank you, though, for sharing your new earflap hat pattern. I think I even have that pink/brown/white yarn! You make it look so nice.
    I will be working on the Apple Hat soon for a baby due any time now, and a larger one for her big sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the new year brings you nothing but good things...for you and your family! (HUGS!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed with the calmness you're exhibiting. But as we both know, getting all excited and running around like Chicken Little won't resolve a thing or make the situation more bearable. So, I continue to send good thoughts to you and John and to admire mightily your knitting prowess.

    May 2007 be healthy and happy, including a new, warm and not terribly expensive place to roost.

    ReplyDelete