Sunday, September 03, 2006

Warning... picture intensive!

Got your cup of coffee, tea, or beverage of choice? There's plenty to show you today. Let's jump right in.

I've been doing a lot of knitting, but very little finishing. Here's what I'm working on today.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

John's Trekking XXL socks are coming along nicely. These are the socks I took with me to Kamloops and the trip to the hospital. The gusset on the second sock is almost done; then I'll do the foot to the toe on one, then the other. Two socks at the same time; that's the way to do it!

Then there's the Gansey sampler sweater. I worked on it a little bit at the store yesterday, but when I got to the shoulder saddles, I decided to put it away till I can concentrate on what I'm doing. So far, it's been a fun little learning experience.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This morning, I picked up John's birthday scarf again. He's working today and tomorrow (yes, Sunday and Labour Day), so I can work on the scarf without him being around to ask questions about it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm past the halfway point in the ribbed section (and the scarf) and have just added the second skein... of 100% cashmere. He's worth it, though. Seeing how much he liked my cashmere scarf last winter, I'm pretty sure he'll like this one.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Then there's this mass of knitting. Well, it's not quite a mass yet, but it's getting there. Remember my last post said I'd tell you about the Irish Diamond Shawl? Well, here it is. The yarn... yes....(picture me running down the stairs to get a ball of the yarn so I can tell you about the yarn)...Here we go. It's Gedifra Fashion Trend Sportivo, colour #5712. I like this yarn. It's supposed to be a sock yarn, and I'm sure the socks would be lovely. It has a lot of "springiness" to the yarn and looks heavier than it is. It's hard to explain, but the best way to describe it is to say that it's "cushy".

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I really like the way the colours are coming up, quite subtle. I think I mentioned that I might make this shawl a little smaller than written, but on thinking about it, this would most likely be a living room shawl (one that stays on the sofa to wrap oneself in when it gets a little chilly), so I might just go ahead and knit it as written. Here's a close-up of the stitch pattern.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm really enjoying the process of knitting this shawl so far. The pattern stitch of the first section is a fairly simple one to remember and the yarn is a pleasure to knit with.

This morning, I looked at my pile of UFO's (the pile in the dining room, not the UFO's hidden away in a Rubbermaid storage bin in the garage) and realized I simply can not start anything else until I have a few things finished, preferably all of them. You and I both know, though, that it just ain't gonna happen, right? Should I be feeling guilty?

On a completely different note, I took a stroll down to the dock this morning, camera in hand. It's such a beautiful day again today that I couldn't resist. Allow me to share with you.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

John planted a row of sunflowers this spring. Considering that the soil is predominantly clay, they didn't do too badly but didn't get nearly as big as the parent plant of these seeds.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

That's the plant we got the seeds from. That picture was taken about three years ago now. The head of that sunflower was over 12" across. We let the birds have most of the seeds, but John did save a Ziploc baggie of the seeds to plant. Good soil certainly does make a difference.

I have one last picture to leave you with.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Does it get any better than this?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Ev, you gave me advise on casting on a huge # of stitches. I just finished a cashmere Birthday scarf for my husband, but can not show it on my blog yet, since he's looking at it from time to time (he's working overseas right now). I also bought a bag of the Gedifra sock yarn, but have not knit with it. I'm glad to hear, that it's fun to knit with. I'll be back to see more of the shawl as it progresses. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the socks and I think it is a great idea to have them both on needles at the same time! How clever.

    My father use to grow sunflowers when I was a kid. They never were big enough for a ladder, but the heads of them were over a foot in diameter.

    I am on the 3rd/final section of the scarf. I was actually feeling bad I haven't finished it sooner, but had to make something for my Michael's teaching interview.

    I should have it finished by Monday. I think it is a great pattern and as far as testing it, I think it is working out perfect. I am doing mine in a thicker yarn than yours with a bit of a different drape and I still think it looks great, which just goes to show how versatile the pattern is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually do both socks at the same time also. Catching each up to a certain point before continuing with the other. Whenever I purchase needles for socks I just always buy two sets. It sure alleviates the dreaded SSS!
    The shawl yarn colors are just scrumptious! I like that it's not too heavy of a yarn. Some patterns in that book use pretty hefty yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The socks are great, interesting for trekking! The shawl will be absolutely beautiful and I can't belive how HUGE your sunflowers are!WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That shawl is gorgeous and I've been looking for something to spur me on toward finishing a little charity knitting. Maybe a nice new winter shawl...

    How is John doing?

    There really aren't more things more peaceful than that last shot. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading your blog but I think this might be my first comment. Glad your husband's eyes are doing better. Such a scarey thing to happen. His birthday scarf looks great. Would you mind mentioning what cashmere yarn you're using and the colour please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work here. What colorway of Trekking XXL are you using? It's gorgeous. My best to your husband, also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow have you been busy! I love it all.

    Those sunflowers are really something. I have some in the backyard but not anywhere near that tall. They are such happy flowers.

    ReplyDelete