Saturday, September 23, 2006

Two more days

Two more days until the contest closes. Don't forget! Tell me about your favourite way to knit socks and you'll be entered in a draw for a knitterly gift of some kind... not too sure just yet what it will be, but it will be good. Details are in the post dated September 11, 2006.

On the knitting front, I've finished another man's toque (stocking cap) pattern. I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but John showed me an ad in a magazine that came in the Globe & Mail and asked if I could reproduce it. I did. It turned out really great. I'd show you, but I've already given it away (before taking pictures.. can you imagine???). You can see (sort of) the hat if you click here.

That's also the picture that was in the ad, with a little more of the model's head showing. I knit it in a DK weight yarn and am doing it again in a worsted weight yarn, just to see which I like better. All of the guys in the house have tried it on, and it's gone over really well with each of them. One of the guys, who's also a snow boarder has given me some ideas for hats that boarders might like and appreciate. He's also suggested that I check out some of the board shops to see just what kinds of hats boarders are buying. Great ideas!

John's birthday is coming up this week and I still don't have his scarf completely finished. I don't really want to work on it when he's around because he likes to ask what I'm working on and he's around a lot these days (that happens when you're not allowed to work, doesn't it?). Hopefully, I'll have it done for his birthday without him ever seeing it before he gets it. I'll also be knitting the same pattern in a regular scarf (sans ribbed section) and including it as a variation in the pattern. I've already picked the yarn, Alpaca Peru in a beautiful tweedy purple colour. Lovely stuff!

My brain today is more than a little preoccupied, so please, forgive me if I'm rambling on here. For those of you interested, John's doing ok. Physically. The distortion to his sight is really beginning to get to him and the healing just isn't happening fast enough, according to him. His patience is wearing very thin and the frustration levels are rising, making it a little difficult to live with him now and then. Thing is, I understand. Not fully, perhaps, but I do understand. I have some vision challenges myself. Certainly, at this stage, they're not the same as John's; my problem is congenital and I'm used to it most of the time. Anyway... his recuperation and one or two other situations that affect us have really been getting to me over the last couple of days. Knitting, truly, has become my refuge. And yet, knitting gives me far too much time to think.

Enough of the rambling. Ignore it. I will certainly understand. There are times that the blog becomes my release valve and today is one of those days. It doesn't matter whether anyone reads that part or not. Tomorrow is another day.

7 comments:

  1. Socks from the cuff down, using two 24-inch circulars, with a heel flap and a square toe (I think that's what it's called, like the toe on your "Creeping Vines Socks"). (Great pattern, by the way.) If the yarn is variegated, I use a plain rib pattern; if it's a solid color, I like to get a little fancy, with a lace or texture pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should always proof read before I post... Here's the good version :-P

    Hey there, Ev. If you ever need to vent I'm you woman! There are times when life just gets to you - I undestand, believe me I do.

    I'm taking a break from the Red Scarf project to start a pair of socks for me. For a change I shall do cuff down, heel flap, kitchener toe; unless I decide to do something else. Since it's one of Dave Daniels' yarns (www.cabincove.com) I shall probalby go plain so the yarn can show without obscuring any pattern. I don't have any really favorite method - I always change :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ev,
    Don't you worry about venting! We all have to do it every now and then. And try to remember friends are here for you even if just to listen. I love your blog and reading anything you write, so if that means letting of some steam so be it! Big hugs to you, it will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! You guys are the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you are having a tough time with your recovering patient. Men do not do well once they hit the recovery stage!

    If it is not too late for the sock contest here is my entry. I started knitting socks cuff down with Aero double pointed needles. Then I tried using 2 circulars, but didn't like it at all. When I switched back to double pointed needles I tried wooden ones and I have never looked back! I always have at least 2 pairs on the go, and love the way the wooden needles feel in my hands. I have never tried toe up and have no desire to.

    ReplyDelete