The Lilac Leaf shawl, I can now definitively say, is finished. I’m very happy with the final product and can see it being used often. The yarn (100% alpaca lace weight) feels a bit “stringy” to work with, but after blocking, it really is nice. The stitch definition is great and the scarf/shawl (it IS big enough to drape over my shoulders) is as light as a feather.
I didn’t block this scarf the way I normally do woolen shawls and scarves. Normally, they get a good soak in a wool wash and are then pinned out on the floor to dry. Because this is alpaca and it has no memory, I decided to dry block this one.
I ran the blocking wires down the side stitches, ran wires through the points at either end, then pinned it out.
Once I had it pinned out to my satisfaction, I filled a tub with warm water, soaked two towels, wrung them out lightly so that they were still quite wet, then laid the towels over the pinned out scarf. I left the towels in place until the scarf and the sheet it was pinned on were both moist, after which the towels were hung up outside and the scarf was allowed to dry.
By the time John got home (almost 5:00), the scarf was dry, unpinned and draped over the couch for him to oooooh and ahhhh over the minute he walked in the door. Sure. Not. He did admire it, though, but not until I showed it to him.
Final details: Lilac Leaf Shawl from “Knitted Lace of Estonia” by Nancy Bush. The yarn is 100% Alpaca lace weight, purchased at the Oyama Lake Alpaca Farm and was worked on 3.5 mm needles. There’s probably enough yarn left to make two more of these scarves or a small triangular shawl. At some point.
Now, to finish a few more projects. I’m determined to get some unfinished projects done and am trying very hard to resist the temptation to cast on something new.