Thursday, August 19, 2010

Around the Yard

 003 It seems we have fairies in our yard. This is only the second fairy circle I’ve ever seen. I love fairy circles. If you’ve never seen one before, it’s a ring of mushrooms in a field. They can grow anywhere mushrooms grow and for some unexplained reason, the grow in a circular pattern.

According to Wikipedia: “Fairy rings also occupy a prominent place in European folklore as the location of gateways into elfin kingdoms, or places where elves (and fairies or pixies, I assume) gather and dance. According to the folklore, a fairy ring appears when a fairy, pixie, or elf appears. It will disappear without trace in less than five days, but if an observer waits for the elf to return to the ring, he may be able to capture it.”

What one would do with an elf, fairy or pixie, I wouldn’t know but I do love the thought of fairies, pixies or elves cavorting in our yard.

In the same garden walkabout, I also came across this little gem. 006

I’ve eaten my share of watermelon, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen one on the vine. There’s at least one more that I saw, but this is the bigger one of the two. We certainly do live in a wonderful place, with no shortage of delicious and abundant fresh fruits and vegetables. I love it!

2 comments:

  1. I think they grow in a circle because the mushroom poofs out its spores and its circular? just a guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my thought, too, but the mushrooms all come up at about the same time and within days, they're gone again.

    ReplyDelete