Thursday, June 14, 2007

A No-pic Post

I have a couple of pictures on the camera; I was going to take a picture of a project in progress. The camera, however, chose not to co-operate; the batteries died this morning. They're now in the charger, so pictures will have to wait till this afternoon.

The toe-up socks are finished. They turned out pretty well, I think. Still, though, I'm not really happy with the short row heel. One sock feels good on; the second sock feels a little tight around the top of the ankle for some reason. I haven't figured that one out yet, as I made them both the same way. Strange. As well, I find that they just don't stay up as well as the heel flap and gusset socks I usually make.

Still on socks, I think I may have been wooed over by the Magic Loop method of sock knitting. I did the majority of the toe-up socks on a 2.0 mm circular needle, using ML; I switched to 2.25 mm dpns for the leg, for the sake of fit. The socks I'm working on at the moment (pictures later) are being done completely using an Addi Turbo circular. I'm finding that the 407" Addi Lace circular is almost too long, while the 24" Addi Turbo is almost too short.

For those of you who knit your socks using the Magic Loop method, what's your favourite length of needle?

A couple of comments on some of the comments...

Louisa asked about a pattern for the can cozies. The pattern is from the Knitting Pattern A Day 2007 calendar, June 7. It's possible that it's also available as a freebie somewhere on line, but I haven't found it yet. If you do, let me know.

Louisa also welcomed me to the "dark side", the world of spinners. Thanks Louisa! I should let you know though, that one afternoon of spinning really doesn't qualify me as a spinner yet. At least, I don't think it does. I have no wheel, no spindle, no fiber with which to practice. And, right now, not much time either. As well, with all the yarn I have in my garage, it will be a long time before I need more yarn to knit up. So, as much as I appreciate the welcome to the "dark side", I've only just let one toe into "the dark". *grin*

Now, it's time for me to get some warm clothes on (it's gray and slightly soggy here today) and to get ready for my trudge to work (I may even wear a hat since I don't have an umbrella).

Today is crochet class day. I'm enjoying this class; it isn't all crochet. I have two women knitting socks, and two ladies crocheting. One of the sock knitters is also challenging herself by learning a stitch per week from some of the available stitch dictionaries and is in the class more for hand holding (in case she runs into problems) than anything else.

Till later, when I'll post some pictures... enjoy your day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ev. I read here all the time even if I don't comment. We met a few years back at the store in Kelowna. Anyway, I knit most socks on magic loop and like the 32 inch length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ev.. My knitting & crocheting class at the Sr. Center is similar - one crocheter, one knitter and another who does both. Now that everyone has the basics down, it's mostly hand holding and fixing problems. Gloria, who knits, usually has up to 5 projects going at once so if she runs into problems and can't get out on her own, she drops that one before she really messes up and picks up another one {g}.. Frances is going through a crochet stitch dictionary and making afghans, while Jean is knitting a vest & crocheting scarves. It's a lot of fun and it usually morphs into our Thursday K4 session because all three ladies have joined in our charity projects.

    ReplyDelete