Monday, April 02, 2007

Still no FO's, but lots of knitting

First things first. Lisa? I will be at SnB on Thursday.

Now, on to knitting. I've been knitting a lot during the past week and my wrist is letting me know it. I've discovered that knitting with circular needles, or knitting really small gauge stuff, like socks, aggravates it more than knitting with straight needles. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my right needle (straight) is held under my arm. To that end, I've been working more on projects using straights, than knitting in the round.

That doesn't mean I haven't been knitting on the socks.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I have. Both of these are the first sock of their respective pairs. I do have to limit the amount of time I spend working on them. The first one is, of course, for John. I wrote about that pair in my last post. The second pair is for me. The yarn is one of the Online Supersocke's Tropical collection. Again, the sock is a basic 3x1 rib, worked on 2.25 mm needles.

I've also been working on this...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I think I mentioned that I'd started a special project, didn't I? This is it. It's an Estonian Garden scarf (yes, another one) and it will be donated to the local hospital's cancer lodge for their upcoming fundraiser. The yarn for this one is Misti Alpaca's laceweight. I love the pattern; I love this yarn.

I've also cast on (again) for my Mom's EG scarf. This time, though, I've gone down in needle size. I think it will be easier to knit on a smaller size needle. So far, I've done three pattern repeats and it does "feel" better to me.

Another thing I did this week was to frog the shadow knitting project. I just wasn't going to have enough yarn. I still want to make it, but I'll wait till we get another shipment of Louet yarns in. The yarn from that project has already been put to use in another project.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thise book arrived in my mailbox last Monday and I've been carting it around with me almost everywhere. The knitted piece? Well, the yarn is Koigu (what a lovely yarn to work with!) and the pattern, in case you don't recognize it, is EZ's Baby Surprise jacket. This little jacket is all over the blog-o-sphere right now. I don't really like to jump on to bandwagons, but this one intrigued me. It intrigued me so much that I bought the book and started it almost immediately.

Incidentally, I can't say enough about Elizabeth Zimmerman's books. If they're not in your knitting library, get them. I have two of her books now, "Knitting Without Tears" and "the Opinionated Knitter". I will be keeping my eyes open for more of her books.

I could go on and on and tell you about our Sunday, show you some of the pictures I took, but that will have to wait for another day. For now, I'm off to get a few things done around here. Then, I'm going to work on John's sweater again. I promised him I'd have it done this week. The second sleeve is almost half done now. Once the sleeve is done, all I have to do is get the sweater to it's final body length (perhaps another 2 inches or so), work the bottom ribbing, cast off and weave in the ends. No sewing. Gotta love it!

1 comment:

  1. You know, I've decided I need to look at EZ's other books. "The Knitter's Almanac" is good but it isn't all.

    I need to check my local library system - I haven't even looked through "The Opinionated KNitter" yet!

    ReplyDelete