Wednesday, October 12, 2005

New Scarf Pattern

I had planned on taking and posting pictures of the new scarf I'm working on, but one of the girls at work came down with the flu and I have to work today. The pictures will have to wait, but I decided to write up the pattern anyway.

I'm not sure what to call this scarf yet... Wavy Lacy Rib... Zig Zag Lacy Scarf... I don't know. If you knit this up and come up with a better name, let me know. In the meantime, it's a somewhat lacy, somewhat ribbed scarf that ends up zigging and zagging. I'm knitting it a worsted weight cashmere (which is amazing!! to knit with... a real indulgence!) that I picked up on our trip to Vancouver, but you can knit it up in any worsted weight yarn on 5.5 mm needles (I think that's about 9.5 US). I'm thinking it will use up about 200-300 metres, depending on the length desired. Ok, here's the knitting part.

Cast on 24 stitches. Knit 2 rows. Begin pattern:

Section 1:
Row 1: k1, *yf, k2 tog; rep to last st, k1
Row 2: purl

Repeat these 2 rows 9 times more (10 pattern repeats completed)

Section 2:
Row 21: k1, *ssk, yo; rep to last st, k1
Repeat these 2 rows 9 times more (10 pattern repeats completed)

Continue working these two sections until scarf is desired length. Knit 2 rows. Cast off loosely.

Note: On row 1, I've use yf (yarn forward). Simply bring your yarn to the front, as if to purl; then knit the next 2 stitches together. When you purl the next row, you'll find the stitches easier to "catch" if you do the yf this way, rather than a yo. You can, however, do what you find easiest. I love that about knitting; it's not an exact science.

As I said, I'll try to post pictures as soon as possible.

P.S. Renita pointed out to me that there might be a mistake in the Dewdrop Scarf pattern. She was right. I've corrected the errors and have reposted the pdf file. It is now correct. If you downloaded it before today, please re-download the corrected version. My apologies to anyone who may have become frustrated with the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment