It may be wise for me to put off writing this post until tomorrow. I'm having issues with my computer... and my own memory. For some reason, all of the information I had in Microsoft Outlook has disappeared... everything. Then, to top it off, I tried to get into my alternate Flickr account, the one I use for Ravelry, and I can't remember my username! I had it on a note in MS Outlook. *sigh*
Deep breath. At least I remember my Photobucket login and I can blog!
It may not have sounded like it in the last few posts, but I have been knitting. In the last couple of weeks there hasn't been a lot of it, but I haven't stopped. Once we got into the apartment, I decided I needed a small, simple project to occupy my hands and brain. To that end, I made this...
There ARE two of them, trust me. The pattern is Acorn. I'm afraid I can't tell you for sure where the original pattern comes from, but I think it's a Colinette pattern. I got the pattern from a friend, as part of a knitalong for one of the Ravelry groups I'm a member of. It was supposed to have been done months ago, but we all know what's been going on in our lives here. I started the mittens last week and finished them yesterday... sort of. Check this out...
I could have sworn I had this one set up properly when I started to sew it together. When I had the stitching all done and well anchored, I discovered that both mitts would fit the left hand. Ooooooooops!
They don't show up very well in the picture, but they're beaded. I used gold coloured glass beads for the edge beads, and green glass beads for the rest. They do show up much better "in person" than they do in the photos. "Festive" was the word one of my co-workers used. I agree.
Oh yes, the details: they yarn is Rowan Kidsilk Haze, worked on 2.75 mm needles. One skein of RKH did the entire pair, with enough left over for a second pair, I'm thinking. The pattern called for 3.25 mm needles, but when I used that size, though I did achieve gauge, the mittens were far too big for my (apparently) slender hands.
As of today, I do not have the patience to pick the seam apart and restitch it. My excuse is that by the time I get home from work, it's far too dark to properly see what I'm doing, even with all the lights on. Only daylight will work. That makes sense, doesn't it?
I've also been working on these socks for John:
As you can see, one sock is finished, while the second has a ways to go. This is my semi-mindless knitting at the moment (well, that and the Little Arrowhead Lace cardi for me). The yarn is SRK (Kertzer) "On Your Toes", a 4-ply sock yarn with Aloe Vera; it's 75% superwash wool and 25% nylon, in shade #ON222004, a nice, neutral green. The pattern is my own, a very basic one. It starts out with 1.5" 1x1 rib, then 3x1 rib to a length of 7" for the leg. The 3x1 ribbing is carried down the intsep. As I said, pretty basic, with a standard heel flap and toe.
I did, incidentally, finish a pair of 6-ply work socks for John while we were in Gibsons. He's been wearing them quite a bit, which is why there's no picture of them. I'll be working on more socks for him in the near future, as I still have seven balls of the 6-ply Regia in my stash, purchased just for John's works socks.
Last night, I also cast on for another Calorimetry (knitty.com) for myself. As much as I love all the hats I've made for myself, I somehimes wear a clip to keep my hair back and that makes a hat awkward to wear. I'm using some Noro Kureyon that I had in my stash, frogged from another project. I'll post pictures when I have it finished.
Next time, too, I'll post some pictures of other works in progress, started or worked on since the ill-fated move to Gibsons.