Saturday, September 08, 2007

Where do I start?

Let's jump right in. Robbyn asked me to elaborate on the top shaping and finishing of the baby rib hat.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The hat is knit from the bottom up, in the round. When you reach the required length, it is split into two and each half is worked separately, using short rows. Each row is four stitches shorter than the previous row, until about 1/3 of the stitches remain. Once both sides have been completed (and you work the stitches to the end of the row), you still have the original number of stitches remaining on the needles, and each half is crescent shaped. Make sense so far? Then, the two halves are bound off, using a three-needle bind off. Ingenious! And no sewing involved!

Next...

If you look at the above picture carefully, you'll notice the corner of a book in the corner of the picture. That book is Cat Bordhi's new book, "New Pathways for Sock Knitters". Yup, I bought it this week. I made the mistake of going into the LYS near my workplace. Steven announced that the book had arrived that very day. Well, it just HAD to come home with me.

That night, I cast on for this...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's the Little Sky sock, one of the socks Cat recommends you make before jumping into the book with both feet. What a fun little sock to knit! And, no, I haven't made the second one yet. I will, though. I thought I might do that today because John was going to be working today, but those plans have changed. Apparently his work partner (who's also the boss's son) is not only still drunk, but is getting drunker still. So, no work today. Which means very little knitting today. At least I get to spend time with John. :)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... or foot. I love this book! The socks in it are brilliant! I'd like to make every single one of them! And to think she's got another two books worth of ideas! I love this woman. Did I mention that I love this book? I honestly think that anyone who likes to knit socks needs to add this book to their knitting library.

I have been knitting on something else as well. I mentioned this project once on Chatters, and was chided for not having blogged about it. Well, I am now.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is the back of a little, lacy cardigan for myself. The yarn is Sirdar Country Style DK, and I'm working the little arrowhead lace pattern on 4.5 mm needles. I'm not rushing this project, but I would like it done before next summer. I'm finding it a relaxing, enjoyable knit with just enough interest to keep it from being boring. The little arrowhead lace is an easy one to read and it works up reasonably quickly. At least, it does if you work on it daily, which I don't. Which is why just the back has taken me all summer to knit.

Ah! What is it supposed to look like when it's finshed, you ask? I'm glad you asked because I just happen to have a picture of the pattern.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's a Sirdar pattern leaflet, #8648. I don't mind the turquoise colour used for the model, but it does not go with anything in my wardrobe. The brown does. And I'm loving it. I think I'll get a lot of wear out of this little cardigan. I am making one or two minor changes; the pattern calls for only two rows of garter stitch at the bottom edge, but I like it better with four rows. It gives it just a little bit more substance. I'm also making the body slightly longer than the pattern calls for. One thing I really like about this yarn (45% acrylic, 40% nylon, 15% wool and 348 yards) is that the pattern calls for 3 balls. At about $9.00 per ball, the sweater comes in at under $30.00. Not bad! And it's a yarn that washes well and wears well. No complaints here.

I could go on, but this post is getting pretty long as it is and there are things to be done around here, with John. So, I leave you with one last thing...

Have you seen the new Knit Picks Harmony wood needles?? OHMY!!! Go there!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the run-down on the decrease for that cap - pretty clever!

    I also like your little cardigan - and would have made the same changes were I making the gament - especially the length!

    Except for the color - I'm not a "practical color" person, as you've probably guessed :)

    I should start thinking about a cardigan myself though...could be fun?

    ReplyDelete