Sunday, September 23, 2007

Here camel, camel

A while back, I got some camel yarn. If you remember wayyyyy back, you'll know that I designed and knitted a shawlette with camel yarn. I love the stuff! It's warm, cozy, feels like a hug on the shoulders. Speaking of which, it's almost time to dig it out; it's getting pretty chilly in this basement suite.

Anyway, I digress. I have more of it. It's been hanging around on a door handle and finally, this weekend, it said "Enough is enough! Wind me up!" There was one small problem.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Have you ever seen a skein wound this way? If you have, and even if you haven't, you can imagine that you can't simply put it on to a swift and winder.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was going to get John to do the job of the two chairs, but he was fixing the toilet and I don't think he'd have had the patience to play the part of a yarn swift. The chairs had to do.

Fifteen or so minutes and half a cup of coffee later, I ended up with this...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It was quite tangled in a couple of spots, but all in all, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Now, I have to decide what to do with it. I have two balls of it, about the same amount in each (hmm... how much DO I have?....122 grams total... just weighed it). I could make another shawl with it, but I'm leaning towards a cozy pair of wrist warmers. I have a feeling that, if we stay here, I will be needing something to keep my wrists and hands warm while I'm on my computer first thing in the morning.

I could get a few pairs out of 122 grams. I'll wait till the yarn tells me what it wants to be. In the meantime, I'll be storing it in one of those Ziploc veggie bags, just to keep it safe. If you have any good ideas for me, design suggestions, please feel free to pass them on.

On another subject, I did do a little bit of knitting yesterday. As you may remember, I bought Cat Bordhi's latest book, "New Pathways for Sock Knitters" a couple of weeks ago. I made one pair of baby socks from the book and yesterday I finished this little sock...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's a Coriolis sock. I love the construction! The "gusset" increases swirl across the top of the foot and the whole thing just looks so cool! I haven't decided whether I want to knit the second sock just yet (I probably should, huh?), or just go ahead and start a pair for me. I've already got yarn in mind (from the stash!). One smart lady, that Cat Bordhi!

Well, the sun is shining here. I think John and I had better get out and enjoy it while we have the opportunity. Who knows how much nice weather we still have ahead of us.

3 comments:

  1. I think you should knit the second little sock for your new grandbaby.

    I have some camel yarn that has been marinating in my stash for a year or two. My plan is to make myself a pair of gloves. The problem is that I can't decide if they should be for me or my Mom.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ev - the wristers sound like a good idea, but why not make something to go with the shawlette you created earlier and I do remember that!).

    The Coriolis sock is every bit as cute as you said it was. I'm definitely going to have to go look for some of Bordhi's stuff. Clearly she's worth looking into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of those neckwarmers might be nice with your wristers.

    ReplyDelete