Friday, July 22, 2011

It’s Here!! Finally!

Back in May, I wrote about finding the perfect yarn for the Shetland Christening Dress. Remember? If not, you can read about it here. A few days later, I did put in an order for the cashmere lace weight yarn. I received confirmation of my order and a PayPal receipt and I waited. And waited. And waited.

By the beginning of July, it still hadn’t arrived. We did, however, have a postal strike so I thought that, perhaps, it had been held up somewhere. Two weeks ago, I decided to email Colourmart and let them know that my yarn still hadn’t arrived.

I got a lovely email from them after they went back through their records and files. It seemed that my yarn had never been sent. My order hadn’t been printed and passed on the the shipping person. They asked if I still wanted the yarn. Um…… yeah, of course I still want it!

Well…

Now, I need to finish a couple of projects before I’ll allow myself to start the dress again.

Speaking of finishing projects, I did finish the Ruffle scarf last night. It turned out really cute! I’ll post a picture of it this weekend. I’m still debating whether or not to press it lightly, just to tame the ruffles a little. It’s very “ruffly”.

The garden is finally coming along. This week, I picked a bunch of basil (nearly half a pound!). The 20 or so plants I have are finally thriving.

For dinner last night, we had spaghettini with pesto sauce, left over chicken, sautéed mushrooms, and stir-fried vegetables (walla walla onion, red pepper and beans fresh from the garden). It was absolutely delicious!!

It’s a somewhat unusual combination, I know. I was going for maximum flavour! We had mushrooms in the fridge that really needed to be used; they were starting to dry out and they’d frozen slightly. I sautéed them in some olive oil and butter (butter for flavour only), threw in a teaspoon or so of chopped fresh thyme, a big clove of garlic, a sploosh of white wine and a bit of salt and pepper – flavour, flavour, flavour!

The vegetables were lightly sautéed in a bit of olive oil, beans first and then the onion and red pepper. I decided to try something I’d never done before; I didn’t add any salt to the vegetables. Instead, I squeezed about half a lemon’s worth of juice onto them and lightly peppered them. I can tell you that I WILL be doing that again! The flavours of the vegetables shone through and the light tang of the lemon accented the dish perfectly.

And the pasta with pesto sauce? Well, there’s just nothing like fresh pesto you’ve just made with basil you’ve hand picked. We ate like kings last night!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! My basil is pathetic. I think it likes your climate better than here on the Wet Coast. I never have enough for pesto. Also, never apologise for using a little butter. All things in moderation!

    Now don't you wish you had poked Colourmart earlier? They do have some yummy yarns...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you persisted, and got your missing yarn. I can't wait to see the Christening Dress, because I know it will be absolutely breath- taking-ly gorgeous!!! I hope the yarn is all you expect it to be, and more. :)

    ReplyDelete