Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hello!

We’ve had a couple of busy weeks around here! Last weekend, the Canada Day long weekend, John and I drove to Edmonton to spend a couple of days with his boss. While there, we also visited my brother, whom John had not yet met (we’ve been together almost 10 years!).

Yesterday, we hosted his boss, her son and daughter-in-law and their two little girls. We had a lovely little dinner party. John and I split the cooking duties and it all went off without a hitch (except for one broken glass and a broken tea light holder… no biggie!).

Instead of a knitting update this week, you get the rundown on our menu and a recipe. We started off with Gambas a la Ajillo (Garlic Prawns). Oh my!! They were awesome! Then we had some pita with tzatziki before being called to the table. Dinner was ribs with Jack Daniels glaze (yum!), Greek style rice (rice with onions, lemon and dill), sautéed Mediterranean style vegetables (red pepper, mushrooms, Walla Walla onion and celery drizzled with oil, balsamic vinegar and a bit of fresh oregano and thyme… from my herb garden), and a watermelon mint salad. For dessert, we bought a lovely chocolate layer cake from Costco; everything else, incidentally, was made from scratch, including the rib glaze.

Everything was absolutely perfect and it all tasted good! As I said, I’m sharing a recipe with you. Here, not on my cooking blog. In our local liquor stores, we’ve been picking up and collecting a free magazine, Flavours. It’s a liquor and food magazine and there are often very good recipes. My Spanakopita recipe came from one of the magazines, too. As a matter of fact, it's the same issue the following recipe is from.


The Gambas a la Ajillo is a simple, and very tasty, way of cooking prawns. John bought 25 tiger prawns and they were consumed in minutes! For your culinary enjoyment, here’s the recipe:

Gambas a la Ajillo (Garlic Prawns)

  • 12 tiger prawns
  • 1/4 tsp dried chili flakes
  • Sea salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 6 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • Chopped fresh parsley

Season prawns with dried chili flakes. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until it sputters. Add garlic; let it turn golden and add prawns and sea salt. Turn the prawns once. Add white wine and sprinkle with parsley. Serve sizzling, with a few slices of bread for dipping.

Serves 6.

2 comments:

  1. As much as I love shrimp, I don't get them too often, as they can be a little expensive for me right now. But I sure would like to learn how you do the rice, with onions, lemon and dill. I use a lot of rice, since it's so economical for one, but I happen to love it, for another. I've never had it with onion, lemon and dill though. :)

    Happy to see you are having a good Summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! These prawns are going on my "to make" list! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete