Saturday, May 09, 2009

Knit Happens!

There has been knitting! The baby dress is at a standstill, though. I could have had it finished this weekend, but the pink yarn I ordered for the bottom edge and the cast on edge of the sleeves didn't show up. Apparently, it's been backordered. Thankfully, this baby's not due until August. Hopefully, the yarn will show up before too long.


All that needs doing at this point is one row and the cast off in pink, on both the front and back. Then, the sleeves, which are cast on with pink and patterned in the chevron lace all the way up. Seeing as I'm doing the smallest size, the sleeves will knit up very quickly... once the yarn gets here.

Having gotten to this point means that I have no tv knitting right now. You know what's coming, don't you? Uh huh, I've cast on another project. And, surprise, surprise, it's lace. This is the beginning of Evelyn A. Clark's Estonian Garden Wrap. I'm using Knit Picks Gloss Lace, in celery, on 3.75 mm needles. I had originally ordered this yarn to make the Luna Moth shawl, but just wasn't happy with the way it was knitting up. 

I've started this pattern before, once in an almost-cobweb weight red yarn (didn't like it) and once in Drops Alpaca (too folk-shawlish-looking.. is that a word?... wrong yarn and needle for this pattern). Both, obviously, were frogged. This, though, is a good match. I like how it's knitting up; it just feels right. This part of the pattern is almost mindless; it's an 8-row pattern repeat that's easy to remember, and the wrong side is purled. So far, I've completed 4 repeats and the pattern calls for 41. Then, there's a lily of the valley edging (complete with nupps) and a final edge that looks similar to the edging of the Swallowtail shawl.

Seeing that hockey will be coming on soon, this wrap should show good progress over the next few days. Go, Canucks, go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment