It feels like a long time since I've completed anything (other than the doll's hat). Well, the Sunshine & Shadows Variation is finished, off the needles, blocked and on my shoulders finished.
That's the unblocked shawl. The colours are fairly close to what they are in reality. It always amazes me the difference blocking makes.
I love the texture of this shawl. I love the colours of this shawl. I love it when a yarn and pattern come together just as I'd hoped they would.
This last picture shows the colour the best. You can see, at the bottom edge, where the knots in the yarn were; the black/grey/mauve striping repeats. All in all, I'm not unhappy with the way the lower edge came out. My main desire was that it end with green (I have no idea why; it's just something I wanted) and it did. The only thing I was unhappy with was the fact that the second ball of yarn had three knots in it (see yesterday's post). Would I use this yarn again? Probably. Though it was like knitting with handspun, and somewhat rough to work with, the yarn softened up nicely after a Eucalan wash. It blocked beautifully (I didn't even block it agressively) and shows the lace pattern quite nicely. The colours, as always with Noro, are stunning. I have a feeling this shawl will see a lot of wear over the next months.
The pattern is a variation of Evelyn A. Clark's "Sunshine & Shadows" shawl from the book "Knitting Lace Triangles", published by Fiber Trends, Inc. Finished size is 67"x36". The yarn is Noro Kureyon sock yarn, 75% wool, 25% nylon in the colourway S188. I used two balls as I wanted more than a scarf sized shawl. The needles were 4.5 mm (US 7). The entire project took me just under two weeks to complete, all in all an enjoyable and rewarding knit.
Now, it's back to the dress (which has not been ignored!).